TORONTO, ONTARIO--(Marketwired - March 25, 2014) - Civil rights organizations, student groups, and faculty members will speak out Tuesday against violations of civil rights by the York University administration. They will condemn administrative suppression of the rights of student groups to free speech and free assembly. Speakers will also protest a no-trespass order against York alumnus, Hammam Farah, for his participation in peaceful protest actions at York. The press conference will convene on the ground floor of the York University Student Centre at 11 AM on Tuesday, March 25, 2014.
"As a queer filmmaker and activist," says York faculty member John Greyson, "I'm sadly all too familiar with regimes that seek to silence and censor – starting with the Canadian government – and I'm proud to teach in a university that has such a vigorous tradition of activism and free speech. York must stop banning students and student groups – period."
Speakers at the March 25 press conference include:
- John Greyson, filmmaker and York faculty member
- Penni Stewart, Executive Board member of the Canadian Association of University Teachers
- Tyler Willis, member of the Advisory Board of the Ontario Civil Liberties Association
- Safiyah Husein, Vice-President Equity of the York Federation of Students
- Hammam Farah, York alumnus
The press conference has been organized by the York Free Expression Campaign, a coalition of students and faculty members committed to a democratic university.