OTTAWA, ONTARIO--(Marketwire - Jan. 29, 2013) - His Excellency the Right Honourable David Johnston, Governor General of Canada, will present the Governor General's Medals in Architecture during a ceremony at Rideau Hall, on Friday, February 1, 2013, at 2:00 p.m.
The Governor General's Medals in Architecture recognize outstanding achievement in recently built projects by Canadian architects. This program, created by the Royal Architectural Institute of Canada (RAIC), contributes to the development of the discipline and practice of architecture, and increases public awareness of architecture as a vital cultural force in Canadian society. These awards are administered jointly by Architecture Canada - RAIC and the Canada Council for the Arts, which is responsible for the adjudication process and contributes to the publication highlighting the medal winners. The winners were announced by the RAIC and the Canada Council for the Arts in May 2012.
The following projects will be honoured this year:
- Bloc_10 - 5468796 Architecture Inc. (Winnipeg, Manitoba)
- Cliff House - MacKay-Lyons Sweetapple Architects (Halifax, Nova Scotia)
- College of New Caledonia, Technical Trades Centre, Quesnel - Lead design architect: Steve McFarlane, FRAIC, formerly of mcfarlane green biggar ARCHITECTURE + DESIGN, now of the office of mcfarlane biggar ARCHITECTS + DESIGNERS inc. (North Vancouver, British Columbia)
- The Delegation of the Ismaili Imamat: Architecture of Peace and Plurality - Maki and Associates, Moriyama & Teshima Architects (Toronto, Ontario)
- The Integral House - Shim-Sutcliffe Architects Inc. (Toronto, Ontario)
- Linear House - Patkau Architects Inc. (Vancouver, British Columbia)
- Mission Kitcisakik - Architectes de l'urgence du Canada (Montréal, Quebec)
- The Mississauga Public Library Project - RDH Architects Inc. (Toronto, Ontario)
- Newmarket Operations Centre - RDH Architects Inc. (Toronto, Ontario)
- Quartier des spectacles / Place des festivals + vitrines habitées - Daoust Lestage Inc. architecture design urbain (Montréal, Quebec)
- Terrence Donnelly Health Sciences Complex- Kongats Architects (Toronto, Ontario)
- Vaughan City Hall - Kuwabara Payne McKenna Blumberg (Toronto, Ontario)
Descriptions and downloadable images of the architectural firms and their winning buildings are available at www.raic.org and www.canadacouncil.ca.
Media wishing to cover the ceremony are asked to confirm their presence in advance with the Rideau Hall Press Office, and must arrive at the Princess Anne Entrance no later
than 1:45 p.m.