OSHKOSH, WISCONSIN--(Marketwired - July 28, 2013) - AIRVENTURE - Pratt & Whitney Canada (P&WC) is ready to mark the 50th anniversary of its iconic PT6 engine at the upcoming EAA AirVenture, "The World's Greatest Aviation Celebration" and EAA's annual membership convention in Oshkosh, Wisconsin, held from July 29 to August 4. P&WC is a division of United Technologies Corp. (NYSE:UTX).
- Throughout the course of the event, the P&WC booth (# 2132, Hangar B) will be staffed by engine and aftermarket experts to answer questions from customers and EAA participants. Engines on display will include the PT6A-41 and PT6A-65.
- As part of the 50th anniversary celebrations, 11 PT6-powered aircraft will be displayed in the heart of EAA Conoco Phillips Plaza, during PT6 Engine Celebration Day on Wednesday, July 31.
- During the show, P&WC will be launching a number of features and activities on its PT6 Nation (PT6Nation.com) microsite, which will be the hub of the PT6 engine's 50th anniversary celebrations. These will include:
-- a new eStore showcasing a vintage collection of PT6 engine articles
-- a new mobile application designed to give P&WC's 10,000 engine operators instant access to a host of services accessible on all models of wireless handheld, tablet or laptop devices
-- a one-of-a-kind inspirational PT6 engine video also available on YouTube
-- a documentary series featuring interviews with "The Legends Behind the Legend," Pratt & Whitney Canada's PT6 engine pioneers. A 30-minute documentary video will be featured, as scheduled, at the Sky Theater.
- P&WC will hold two PT6A Seminars on July 31, at 2:30 p.m. at the EAA Welcome Center and on August 2, at 10:00 a.m. at the Forum Pavilion 11 BRP/Rotax. In addition to providing insight into the P&WC PT6A design, operation, and maintenance recommendations, this 75-minute seminar will also provide attendees with a historic retrospective of the PT6 engine, from its entry into service almost 50 years ago to the latest technology injected into this legendary turboprop engine.
- P&WC's will also reach out to the young generation attending the convention by supporting youth-focused events designed to spark children's interest in aviation. At the KidVenture campus, P&WC will have a PT6 engine on display equipped with a borescope, which is used to examine the inside of an engine without dismantling it.
- P&WC will be a sponsor of the Gathering of Eagles Gala Dinner on the Thursday night, August 1, and be part of the fund-raising auction.
- Finally, P&WC will be issuing a number of news releases at EAA
PT6 engine facts:
- Over 52,000 engines ranging from 500 to 2,000 shaft horse power produced today.
- Over 130 different applications in service.
- A record of 390 million hours of flight, the equivalent of more than 250,000 trips around the moon and back in a 270 KTAS (knots-true airspeed) cruise speed aircraft.
About Pratt & Whitney Canada
Founded in 1928 and a global leader in aerospace, P&WC is shaping the future of aviation with dependable, high-technology engines. Based in Longueuil, Quebec (Canada), P&WC is a wholly-owned subsidiary of United Technologies Corporation Corporation (UTC). UTC is a diversified company that provides a broad range of high-technology products and services to the global aerospace and building systems industries.
- Follow us on Twitter (hyperlink: https://twitter.com/pwcanada) to receive our latest news and updates