CALGARY, ALBERTA--(Marketwired - March 18, 2014) - Frontline public employees will rally at multiple locations throughout Alberta on Thursday, March 20, to defend their modest pensions against the significant cuts being imposed by the Redford Government.
Twenty-eight sites in Calgary, Edmonton, St. Albert, Hinton, Red Deer, Fort McMurray, Medicine Hat, Lethbridge, Grande Prairie, Peace River and Camrose have been selected for the lunchtime rallies.
In addition, informal smaller-scale activities are expected near many other public-sector worksites throughout the province.
The six sites in Calgary where rallies are planned are:
- South Calgary Health Campus, 4448 Front Street
- Rockyview General Hospital, 7007 14 Street SW
- Foothills Medical Centre, 1403 29 Street NW
- Peter Lougheed Hospital, 3500 26 Avenue NE
- Alberta Children's Hospital, 2888 Shaganappi Trail NW
- Calgary City Hall, 800 Macleod Trail SE
Senior elected officers of the major Alberta public-sector unions will be available at all sites for interviews with media.
- Marle Roberts, President of Canadian Union of Public Employees Alberta Division, will attend the rally at the Misericordia Hospital in Edmonton
- Elisabeth Ballermann, President of the Health Sciences Association of Alberta, will attend the rally at the Royal Alexandra Hospital in Edmonton
- Heather Smith, President of the United Nurses of Alberta, will attend the rally at Red Deer Regional Hospital
- Guy Smith, President of the Alberta Union of Provincial Employees, will attend a rally at Foothills Medical Centre in Calgary
- Gil McGowan, President of the Alberta Federation of Labour will attend a rally at University Hospital in Edmonton