PEACE RIVER, ALBERTA--(Marketwired - March 18, 2014) - Frontline public employees will rally at multiple locations throughout Alberta on Thursday, March 20, to defend their modest pensions against the significant cuts being imposed by the Redford Government.
Twenty-eight sites in Peace River, Grande Prairie, St. Albert, Edmonton, Calgary, Hinton, Red Deer, Fort McMurray, Medicine Hat, Lethbridge and Camrose have been selected for the lunchtime rallies.
In addition, informal smaller-scale activities are expected near many other public-sector worksites throughout the province.
The Peace River rally will take place at the office of MLA Frank Oberle, 9907 101 Street.
Senior elected officers of the major Alberta public-sector unions will be available at all sites for interviews with media.
- Marle Roberts, President of Canadian Union of Public Employees Alberta Division, will attend the rally at the Misericordia Hospital in Edmonton
- Elisabeth Ballermann, President of the Health Sciences Association of Alberta, will attend the rally at the Royal Alexandra Hospital in Edmonton
- Heather Smith, President of the United Nurses of Alberta, will attend the rally at Red Deer Regional Hospital
- Guy Smith, President of the Alberta Union of Provincial Employees, will attend a rally at Foothills Medical Centre in Calgary
- Gil McGowan, President of the Alberta Federation of Labour will attend a rally at University Hospital in Edmonton