OTTAWA, ONTARIO--(Marketwire - Nov. 21, 2012) - The Honourable Peter MacKay, Minister of National Defence, today announced the contract award for the construction of seven explosive storage magazines at Canadian Forces Ammunition Depot Bedford. The contract was awarded to Three "C" Contractors Limited for over $13.4 million. In addition, Canadian Forces Base Halifax will also see general maintenance improvements through several other contract awards valued at approximately $935 293.
"Our Government is committed to revitalizing defence infrastructure, thus giving our men and women in the Canadian Forces the facilities they need to support operations, activities and equipment at home, and abroad," said Minister MacKay.
Each of the seven explosive storage magazines will be approximately 328 m2 and will help address the deficiencies in storage capability at the site for all types of ammunition used by the Canadian Forces.
The other contract awards for Canadian Forces Base Halifax include
- Phase 3 of the excavation and landscaping for the Autonomous Precision Approach and Landing System which was awarded to Silco Contracting Limited for $13 500;
- upgrades to building exteriors which was awarded to G.A. Leblanc Construction Services for $177 000;
- bathroom renovations to RA Park #8 which was awarded to Blunden Construction (1995) Limited for $16 000;
- acoustic upgrades in building D201 which was awarded to EXP Services Incorporated for $19 875;
- the installation of window and door flashing which was awarded to Alweather Windows and Doors for $47 800;
- upgrades to chillers in building D201 which was awarded to Atlantica Mechanical Contractors Incorporated for $359 900;
- the construction of a fire training tower for Shearwater and Dockyard which was awarded to CBCL Limited for $72 765;
- the installation of building meters on various buildings which was awarded to Stantec Consulting for $188 703; and
- the supply and installation of thermal panels at Windsor Park Military Family Resource Centre in support of the Climate Change Management Plan which was awarded to Pace Plumbing and Heating Limited for $39 750.
The Canadian Forces is a first-class, modern military delivering excellence at home and is a strong and reliable partner in the defence of North America making meaningful contributions to international security.
The Government of Canada conducted open, fair, and transparent competition processes to award contracts for these projects.