OTTAWA, ONTARIO--(Marketwire - Aug. 31, 2012) - The Honourable Peter MacKay, Minister of National Defence, is pleased to announce additional senior Canadian Forces (CF) promotions and appointments for 2012. These officers lead the CF in defending Canada's values, interests, and sovereignty at home and abroad.
"These promotions and appointments ensure that our men and women of the Canadian Forces continue to benefit from the strong leadership and support that they deserve," said Minister MacKay. "I would like to take this opportunity to thank General Natynczyk for his great work and leadership over the past 4 years and welcome General Lawson as he settles into his new responsibilities. I also wish to congratulate the other senior officers who are receiving promotions in recognition of their contributions to the Canadian Forces."
"The men and women of the Canadian Forces will be well-served by these proven and accomplished Senior Officers. To each of them I send my sincere congratulations and encouragement as they assume their new posts and responsibilities," said General Walt Natynczyk. "To my fellow retiring General Officers, I thank you for your service, counsel and comradeship. We have been privileged to serve Canada and it has been my honour to be your Chief of the Defence Staff."
In addition to those announced in March and May, the following promotions and appointments for CF senior officers will take place in 2012:
- Lt.-Gen. T.J. Lawson will be promoted General and appointed Chief of the Defence Staff at National Defence Headquarters (NDHQ), in Ottawa, replacing General W.J. Natynczyk, who will be retiring;
- Maj.-Gen. J.A.J.Y. Blondin will be promoted Lt.-Gen. and appointed Commander Royal Canadian Air Force at NDHQ, in Ottawa, replacing Lt.-Gen. J.P.A. Deschamps, who will be retiring;
- Maj.-Gen. J.A.J. Parent was promoted Lt.-Gen. and appointed Deputy Commander North American Aerospace Defense Command (NORAD), in Colorado Springs, replacing Lt.-Gen. T.J. Lawson;
- Brig.-Gen. M.J. Hood will be promoted Maj.-Gen. and appointed Deputy Commander Royal Canadian Air Force at NDHQ, in Ottawa, replacing Maj.-Gen. J.A.J.Y. Blondin;
- Brig.-Gen. J.P.J. St-Amand was promoted Maj.-Gen. and appointed Commander 1 Canadian Air Division Headquarters (HQ), in Winnipeg, replacing Maj.-Gen. J.A.J. Parent;
- Acting Brig.-Gen. J.B. Ploughman will be appointed Deputy Commander 1 Canadian Air Division HQ, in Winnipeg, replacing Brig.-Gen. J.P.J. St-Amand;
- Col. H.J. Kowal was promoted Brig.-Gen. (acting while so employed) and appointed Director General Military Careers at NDHQ, in Ottawa, replacing Brig.-Gen. M.K. Overton;
- Col. L.E. Thomas will be promoted Brig.-Gen. (acting while so employed) and appointed Chief of Staff Canadian Expeditionary Forces Command, in Ottawa, replacing Acting Brig.-Gen. J.B. Ploughman; and
- Capt. (Navy) M.B. Watson was promoted Commodore (acting while so employed) and appointed Director General Personnel and Family Support Services at NDHQ, in Ottawa, replacing Brig.-Gen. F.G. Bigelow, who will be retiring.
After distinguished service to the CF and Canada, in addition to those already announced, the following senior officers will retire in 2012:
- General W.J. Natynczyk;
- Lt.-Gen. J.P.A. Deschamps; and
- Brig.-Gen. F.G. Bigelow.
For more information on senior appointments at the Department of National Defence, please visit: www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dsa-dns/index-eng.asp.