OTTAWA, ONTARIO--(Marketwired - Jan. 13, 2014) - Natural Resources Canada
Canada's Natural Resources Minister, the Honourable Joe Oliver, today delivered remarks at PETROTECH 2014, the 11th International Oil and Gas Conference and Exhibition, in Greater Noida, India. Minister Oliver took this opportunity to promote Canada as a secure and responsible supplier of energy, particularly liquefied natural gas, to India's growing market.
Minister Oliver also met with senior Indian government officials, including Beni Prasad Verma, Minister of Steel, as well as with industry executives, to discuss the importance of enhancing trade and investment ties between Canada and India. The Minister also highlighted that with our abundant natural resources, Canada is well positioned to meet India's growing demand for energy.
- Canada is the world's fifth-largest producer of natural gas, with marketable gas resources estimated to be up to 37 trillion cubic metres, or 1,300 trillion cubic feet - some 200 years of production at current rates.
- Canada has the third-largest proven oil reserves in the world, at 173 billion barrels.
- According to the International Energy Agency, in 2035, fossil fuels will still be required to meet three-quarters of global energy demand.
- India is already the world's fourth-largest consumer of energy, and it is expected to quadruple its electricity supply within the next 25 years.
"With our abundance of natural resources, Canada is well positioned to play a leading role in supplying the energy required to meet India's growing demand. The Canada-India energy partnership holds enormous potential, and we are determined to seize this economic opportunity for the future benefit of Canadians and Indians alike."
Canada's Minister of Natural Resources
- Minister Oliver Announces Official Visit to India
- Canada-India Partnerships
Follow us on Twitter: @NRCan (http://twitter.com/nrcan)
NRCan's news releases and backgrounders are available at www.nrcan.gc.ca/media