BOSTON, MASSACHUSETTS--(Marketwired - March 17, 2014) -
Editors Note: There is a photo associated with this press release.
The Honourable Gail Shea, Minister of Fisheries and Oceans, is currently leading the Canadian delegation at the Seafood Expo North America. She is meeting with buyers, suppliers and exhibitors from across North America and the European Union. Minister Shea stopped at Prince Edward Island's Royal Star Foods and took this opportunity to talk about the Government of Canada's effort in building on existing markets, such as the United States and the new free trade agreements with Korea and the European Union that will open new markets for Canadian seafood.
"We are proud to showcase our new lobster products at Seafood Expo North America," says Francis Morrissey, CEO of Royal Star Foods. "The recently announced free trade agreements will make it easier for our products to reach a global market, which is good news for Royal Star Foods and the Canadian seafood industry alike."
"It is gratifying to visit one of the world's leading seafood expos and witness firsthand the positive reception that our seafood and our practices around seafood get," said Minister Shea. "Canada is recognized as a global leader, which is why we are such a big draw at this event."
- Prince Edward Island is Canada's sixth largest exporter of fish and seafood, with exports valued at $205.2 million.
- Prince Edward Island exported 23,440 tonnes of fish and seafood in 2013.
- The top three exports by value were lobster (7,327 t valued at $144.2 million), mussel (13,030 t valued at $38.4 million) and oyster (961 t valued at $5.9 million).
For more information about Canada's fish and seafood industry visit our Web site.
• Minister Shea to lead the Canadian delegation at 2014 Seafood Expo North America
• Minister Shea announces that Canadian seafood exports continued to grow in 2013
Provincial and territorial statistics on Canada's fish and seafood exports in 2013
Follow us on Twitter! www.Twitter.com/DFO_MPO
To view the photo associated with this press release, please visit the following link: http://www.marketwire.com/library/20140317-933886_photo_800.jpg