PORT DOVER, ONTARIO--(Marketwired - Aug. 14, 2014) - Member of Parliament for Haldimand-Norfolk, Diane Finley, on behalf of the Honourable Gail Shea, Minister of Fisheries and Oceans, announced today that the Government of Canada will invest in a refurbishment project at the Port Dover Harbour. This project is part of a Harper Government initiative to invest in maintenance, repair, construction and dredging projects at small craft harbours across the country, and will support economic growth and prosperity in fishing communities like Port Dover.
The project at Port Dover Harbour consists of refurbishment of existing shore protection at the commercial fishing basin. Additional armour stone will be added to prevent large waves from washing over the shore protection. This will address safety concerns for vessels and reduce the need for dredging to remove sediment deposited into the basin.
This project is part of the Government of Canada's investment of approximately $106 million in repair, construction, maintenance and dredging projects at small craft harbours across Canada. This includes $66 million in regular program funding for 2014-2015 and an additional $40 million over two years, as announced in Economic Action Plan 2014.
Construction at the Port Dover Harbour is planned to start in mid- to late fall, and should be completed within a month.
- Previous expenditures at Port Dover include reconstruction of the inner and outer east piers in 2006-08 at a total cost of $2.4 million and repairs to the fendering system, adjacent parapet and ramps on the harbour jetties in 2013 at a cost of $350,000.
- Small craft harbours support the commercial fishing industry. Nearly 90 percent of all commercial fish harvesters in Canada use small craft harbour facilities, and their annual production represents approximately $1.6 billion.
- The Canadian commercial fishing industry provides employment in many coastal, rural and isolated communities. This includes approximately 80,000 jobs within the industry as well as thousands of additional jobs in supporting industries.
- The Government of Canada undertakes harbour improvement projects in cooperation with the local harbour authorities that manage and operate facilities for local users.
- The Small Craft Harbours Program is responsible for over 1000 small craft harbours across Canada.
"The Harper Government understands that by investing in infrastructure at Port Dover Harbour, we are also creating employment opportunities that benefit our fishing industry, our community and ultimately our families. The funding announced today will ensure a network of safe and efficient harbours across Canada and contribute to continued economic growth and prosperity for Canadians in fishing communities."
Member of Parliament for Haldimand-Norfolk, Diane Finley
"Once again our federal government is making a strong investment in Norfolk County. The improvements proposed to the Port Dover Small Craft Harbour will benefit all users and I am pleased that Minister Finley has once again championed the cause of Norfolk."
Mayor of Norfolk County, Dennis Travale
"The original harbour expansion has paid off in a significant contribution to commercial and recreational boating. Any measure to protect this valuable asset is most welcome."
MPP for Haldimand-Norfolk-Brant, Toby Barrett
Small Craft Harbours : http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/sch-ppb/aboutsch-aproposppb-eng.asp
Government of Canada invests in Ontario's small craft harbours in #Haldimand-Norfolk