SASKATOON, SASKATCHEWAN--(Marketwired - April 25, 2014) - Canadian Heritage
The Government of Canada has provided financial support to the Fédération des francophones de Saskatoon for its 2014-2015 and 2015-2016 programming.
The Member of Parliament for Saskatoon-Wanuskewin, Maurice Vellacott, today announced $228,500 in funding on behalf of Minister of Canadian Heritage and Official Languages Shelly Glover.
The Fédération des francophones de Saskatoon is the leading organization representing Francophones in Saskatoon and ensures the promotion and development of their interests.
- Here are a few examples of the activities that will be undertaken by the organization as part of its programming in 2014-2015 and 2015-2016:
- Organizing cultural activities in French in the Saskatoon area, including the Winter Carnival, the Cinergie Francophone film festival, the Rendez-vous de la Francophonie, theme nights, art exhibits, and an annual performing arts series.
- Organizing the Francophone Pavilion for Folkfest 2015-2016.
- Working to increase services available in French in Saskatoon in the education, health, economic, tourism, sports and recreation sectors.
- Promoting and participating in the development of strategies for welcoming French-speaking newcomers to Saskatoon.
- Encouraging, supporting and promoting the Francophone Urban Village project in Saskatoon (a network of community services and spaces).
- The Government of Canada is providing this financial support under the Community Life component of the Development of Official-Language Communities Program.
"Thanks to this support and the efforts of the Fédération des francophones de Saskatoon, the community will have access to activities and services in French that aim to enhance the quality of life in a minority community."
-Shelly Glover, Minister of Canadian Heritage and Official Languages
"We are proud to support the Fédération des francophones de Saskatoon so that it can continue to promote the French language and Francophone culture in the Saskatoon area."
-Maurice Vellacott, Member of Parliament (Saskatoon-Wanuskewin)
"The Fédération des francophones de Saskatoon is very grateful to the Department of Canadian Heritage for this support. The funding will help us improve our services to this growing Francophone community. It will also allow us to get more involved in promoting our culture, the French language, and everyday life in French in our city and among our members."
-Gabrielle Lepage-Lavoie, President, Fédération des francophones de Saskatoon
- Development of Official-Language Communities Program
- Fédération des francophones de Saskatoon
Follow us on Twitter, YouTube, Facebook and Flickr.