OTTAWA, ONTARIO--(Marketwired - Nov. 15, 2016) - Department of Canadian Heritage
Canadians are invited to join the Honourable Mélanie Joly, Minister of Canadian Heritage, on Parliament Hill at 7:00 p.m. on Wednesday, December 7, 2016, for the launch of the 32nd edition of Christmas Lights Across Canada. A colourful experience awaits those taking part in this year's illumination ceremony.
The evening on Parliament Hill will feature a musical performance, a pyrotechnics show and a projection of the winter lightscapes show. Hundreds of thousands of lights will be switched on along Confederation Boulevard-as well as on the legislature buildings in every provincial and territorial capital, creating a luminous link with the nation's capital.
A special nod to the 150th anniversary of Confederation will be included in this year's programming. Confederation Park will be illuminated in red and white, and a new segment has been added to the winter lightscapes show.
"This holiday tradition is a wonderful way to get into the spirit of the season and count down the final moments until Canada's big year of celebrations for the 150th anniversary of Confederation! As you admire the sparkling lights connecting us from coast to coast to coast, I invite you to reflect on the values we hold close to our hearts as Canadians: peace, respect, diversity and confidence in the future."
- The Honourable Mélanie Joly, Minister of Canadian Heritage
"Manulife is proud to sponsor this great Canadian tradition. Christmas Lights Across Canada has delighted countless Canadians for many years and helped start each New Year on a bright note."
- Peter Wilkinson, Senior Vice President, Manulife
- Guests are invited to arrive early to the ceremony. Before the evening begins, they can interact with colourful prisms set up on the East and West lawns of Parliament Hill, and enjoy free BeaverTail pastries, compliments of BeaverTails®, and hot chocolate, compliments of Enbridge Gas Distribution.
- The illumination ceremony will feature holiday wishes from all 13 provincial and territorial premiers on giant video screens.
- For the first time, the evening's festivities will be broadcast live on the Canadian Heritage Facebook accounts for Canadians across the country who are unable to attend the illumination ceremony.
- Canada's Capital Region will be illuminated from December 7, 2016 to January 7, 2017.
- The magical winter lightscapes show, which combines digital technology with the architectural splendour of the Parliament Buildings, will be presented in a loop every night from 5:30 p.m. to 11 p.m. until December 25, 2016.
- Manulife is the exclusive sponsor of Christmas Lights Across Canada.
Christmas Lights Across Canada
Follow us on Twitter, YouTube, Facebook, Instagram and Flickr.