SOURCE: Mederi Services, LLC

Mederi Services, LLC

March 18, 2015 09:15 ET

MySurgeon Survey Reveals Majority of Female Operating Room Staff Have Felt Bullied by Surgeons While Assisting During Surgery

HOUSTON, TX--(Marketwired - Mar 18, 2015) - MySurgeon®, the only iPhone and web application designed for surgical team members, conducted a survey focused on the workplace experiences of operating room professionals who assist surgeons during surgery. The survey titled, MySurgeon Surgical Sector Survey of Operating Room Professionals, revealed that a majority of women who work in the operating room have felt bullied by the surgeons they were assisting during surgery.

A total of 202 respondents made up of 162 women and 40 men who work with surgeons during a surgical procedure participated in the survey. More than 80% of the participants assist in surgical procedures at least three times a week.

One of the survey questions asked, "Have You Ever Felt Bullied or Harassed by a Surgeon During a Procedure?," was only directed to 169 respondents, who indicated they have experienced assisting male and female surgeons. Out of the 169, only 150 responded while 19 abstained. Out of the 150, 111 (74%) answered "Yes" while 39 (26%) answered "No." 

Additionally, 93 (83.8%) of the 111 indicated that it was a male surgeon that had made them feel bullied or harassed, while the rest 18 (16.2%) indicated it was a female surgeon.

"I've been working in the surgical field for more than 20 years as a certified surgical assistant and I'm surprised at the findings especially the results about bullying and harassment during surgery," said David Bartczak, creator of MySurgeon and CEO of Mederi Services, one of the nation's largest surgical assistant billing companies.

"It is disturbing to see how female surgical team members are treated sometimes by their surgeons during surgery and to feel bullied or harassed while a procedure is being performed on a patient is a major concern," added Bartczak.

Additional key findings from the survey showed that:

  • More than 75% prefer to work with male surgeons than female surgeons.
  • 45% of those who prefer to work with male surgeons indicated male surgeons are less demanding. However, 52% of those who prefer working with female surgeons believe that female surgeons are less demanding.
  • Among respondents who never worked with a female surgeon, only 53% said they would like to work with a female surgeon in the future while 17% said "no" and the remaining 30% said "maybe."

To view the complete survey and findings from the MySurgeon Surgical Sector Survey, visit www.mysurgeon.net and click the link to view complete results or access directly here.

About MySurgeon®

MySurgeon is the only iPhone and website management app that gives surgical team members and operating room staff the ability to create, edit, save, update and share their surgeons' contact information, preferences and procedures. MySurgeon is wholly-owned by Mederi Services LLC, the nation's leading surgical assistant billing company, based out of Houston, Texas. Visit www.mysurgeon.net for more information. Like www.facebook.com/mysurgeonapp for the latest updates.

Contact Information

  • Media Contact:
    Joe Vasquez
    VASQ PR
    P: 201-889-3340
    Email Contact