DALLAS, TX--(Marketwire - Oct 22, 2012) - To develop market intelligence on the impacts of the Affordable Care Act, the National Association of Dental Plans (NADP) surveyed 3,044 consumers regarding their attitudes, perceptions and satisfaction regarding dental coverage. The association recently published its findings in the NADP 2012 Consumer Survey: Dental Health and Health Care Reform.
The Survey includes updates from the 2007 Consumer Survey plus additional health care reform questions to reflect changes ahead in the dental market. Findings are reported in four categories: Oral Health Behaviors, Dental Benefits, Dental Provider Relationships and the Affordable Care Act. Highlights include:
- More than half of the sample (53%) has visited the dentist within the past six months and fully two-thirds have visited a dentist within the past year. Among those who have not visited the dentist, the primary reasons for not doing so are:
- Lack of a dental plan (33%)
- Cost for dental visit (25%)
- The most important features when selecting an individual dental plan are:
- Cost (most important)
- Procedures covered
- Fully 78% of consumers surveyed have a "regular" dentist; no change from 2007. Of those with a regular dentist, more than half (56%) note they have been with the same dentist more than six years, up from 37% in the 2007 survey.
- If their current health plan is taxed, 26% of consumers surveyed plan on dropping their dental plan. However, 37% are likely to continue dental coverage. Approximately one-third (37%) are unsure if they will or will not continue dental coverage if their health plan is taxed.
The NADP 2012 Consumer Survey is available for purchase via the Report Vault (http://www.nadp.org/researchpublications/reportvault.aspx) on the NADP website.
National Association of Dental Plans (NADP), a Texas nonprofit corporation with headquarters in Dallas, Texas, is the "representative and recognized resource of the dental benefits industry." NADP is the only national trade organization that includes the full spectrum of dental benefits companies operating in the United States. NADP's members provide Dental HMO, Dental PPO, Dental Indemnity and Discount Dental products to 160 million Americans, more than 92 percent of all Americans with dental benefits.