RESTON, VA--(Marketwire - Aug 22, 2012) - Netuitive, a leading provider of predictive analytics software for IT, today announced the results of a global IT survey assessing the growth of IT infrastructure, metric data collection volumes, and the complexity of associated analytical challenges in application performance management (APM).
The detailed survey was conducted by phone and online during June and July 2012 to assess the opinions of targeted IT professionals in the US and the UK. It revealed significant increases in the growth of IT environments, in the volume and diversity of metrics requiring analysis and correlation, and an acceleration in data monitoring frequency.
- 46% of respondents revealed that their IT infrastructure (servers, storage devices and network devices) had either doubled or tripled over the past decade -- 26% said it had grown by four of fivefold.
- APM tools are generating "thousands" of key performance indicators (KPIs) for a basic server environment that require analysis and correlation compared to "dozens" a few years ago.
- Data monitoring frequency has increased significantly with monitoring intervals shortening to one to five minutes compared to 15 minutes five years ago.
The survey confirmed APM's primary challenge being an inability to correlate and extract value from vast volumes of data from an increasing number of specialized monitoring tools across silos and domains in real-time. Sometimes referred to as "APM-generated Big Data," this data must be transformed into practical information with a bearing on business activity, customer experience, applications, and infrastructure.
- 77% were either "unsure" or "not satisfied" with their ability to cross-reference and correlate critical business, customer experience and IT metrics.
- 59% need to break out of enduring data silos to make effective correlations between business, customer experience, and IT infrastructure key performance indicators (KPIs).
- Customer experience was highlighted as the most relevant metric for understanding application/service performance.
- IT infrastructure, business KPIs and application infrastructure were also deemed important -- indicating a desire to understand the correlated behaviour of all of these metrics together.
- Large enterprises are addressing the problem with automated predictive analytic solutions capable of real-time correlation and analysis of APM-generated Big Data.
"Our large enterprise customers are increasingly challenged to correlate and extract value from seemingly unmanageable yet interrelated data sets across applications, business activity, IT performance, and the customer experience," said Nicola Sanna, CEO of Netuitive. "Only through advanced IT analytics can you begin to accurately interpret interrelationships within APM-generated big data to proactively detect problems before critical applications and services are disrupted."
Other survey findings:
- The size of enterprise IT environments varied between responding businesses: 40% managing 2,000 or fewer IT components, 35% managing 2,000 to 10,000 components, 13% managing 10,000 to 50,000 components, and a 12% managing over 50,000 components.
- 83% of respondents agreed with Gartner's estimate that metric data collection has increased 300% or more in the last four years.
- One enterprise reported it monitors and correlates a billion infrastructure and application data points and business metrics daily as part of its global service delivery.
For a new infographic depicting the survey results visit:
Netuitive provides predictive analytics software for IT. Netuitive replaces human guesswork with automated mathematics and analysis to help companies to visualise, isolate, and proactively address application performance issues before they impact quality of service. Hundreds of customers, including eight of the 10 largest banks, rely on Netuitive to proactively manage the performance of their critical applications and underlying IT infrastructures -- physical, virtual and cloud. Industry recognition includes the 2011 "CTO Award for Innovation" from Morgan Stanley, the 2011 CODiE Award for "Best Systems Management Solution," the 2010 EMA Award for "Best Analytics," and "Best of VMworld" Awards in 2007, 2009 and 2011. For more information, visit www.netuitive.com.