OTTAWA, ONTARIO--(Marketwired - Feb. 6, 2014) - Department of National Defence
Command of Canadian Special Operations Forces Command (CANSOFCOM) officially changed hands at a ceremony held today in Ottawa. The new Commander of CANSOFCOM, Brigadier-General Michael Rouleau, assumed command from Major-General Denis Thompson at a ceremony presided over by General Tom Lawson, Chief of the Defence Staff (CDS).
- Brigadier-General Rouleau brings with him more than 20 years of exceptional military and special operations experience. He is a former Commanding Officer of Joint Task Force 2, and has also held senior staff appointments in Assistant Deputy Minister (Policy) Group, the CDS' Transformation Team, Force Development, and the Canadian Army.
- The Commander of CANSOFCOM provides the Government of Canada with agile, high-readiness Special Operations Forces capable of conducting special operations across the spectrum of conflict at home and abroad.
- The Commander of CANSOFCOM also advises the CDS and other operational commanders on special operations issues and employment.
- Major-General Thompson was recently promoted and will assume the duties of the Force Commander for the Multinational Force and Observers, an independent international organization that supervises the implementation of the security provisions of the 1979 Egyptian-Israeli Treaty for Peace.
"I congratulate Brigadier-General Rouleau on his appointment as Commander of Canadian Special Operations Forces Command. Continuing the excellent work of his predecessor, I know that his team is in good hands, as he will bring his own experiences to undertake what lies ahead."
- The Hon. Rob Nicholson, Minister of National Defence.
"Major-General Thompson has done an outstanding job as Commander of the Canadian Special Operations Forces Command. Under his leadership and guidance, CANSOFCOM has helped to forge critical relationships with partner nations, contributing to international security, and representing Canadians abroad with the very highest standards of professionalism."
"Brigadier-General Rouleau is a highly respected leader within the Canadian Armed Forces and the special operations community. I have every confidence in his ability to continue the great tradition of excellence within CANSOFCOM."
- General Tom Lawson, Chief of the Defence Staff
"I am honoured to once again be part of Canada's Special Operations Forces Command, this time as its commander. I take over an organization that is extremely dedicated and operationally focused and one that is completely committed to confront the challenges of the future.
- Brigadier-General Michael Rouleau, New Commander of Canada's Special Operations Forces Command
More information on CANSOFCOM is available at: http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/operations-special-forces/index.page.