TORONTO, ONTARIO--(Marketwired - April 15, 2014) -
Editors note: Videos are associated with this press release.
The Financial Consumer Agency of Canada (FCAC), in partnership with The G. Raymond Chang School of Continuing Education at Ryerson University, today launched a new series of e-learning videos to help Canadians make better financial decisions. The announcement was made by Lucie Tedesco, FCAC Commissioner and Dr. Marie Bountrogianni, Interim Dean at The Chang School at Ryerson University.
These new online videos are an important complement to the successful program of learning modules and workshops called Financial Basics.
Produced by FCAC and The Chang School, this new video series is available free and online. It can be used by educators, community groups and employers to provide objective information to improve the skills, knowledge and confidence needed to be financially literate. The topics cover the essentials of personal finances; budgeting, living within your means, managing credit and debt, fraud prevention and investing and saving for the future.
- The concept for the Financial Basics e-learning videos was based on a workshop developed by FCAC and the Investor Education Fund, in collaboration with financial author and journalist Ellen Roseman.
- FCAC and its partners launched Financial Basics in September 2010. It is designed to be delivered to young adults, between 19 to 29 years of age, who are looking to gain basic financial knowledge to better manage their personal finances.
- The reach of the program has been extensive with over 63,000 information kits distributed across Canada. In a classroom setting, this means a potential outreach to over 360,000 students.
- The videos, along with the entire Financial Basics program, are available online, free of charge, on FCAC's website. They can be used by individuals who wish to learn more at their own pace.
- The Chang School of Continuing Education at Ryerson University is Canada's foremost provider of university-based adult education, facilitating access to the University's renowned, professionally relevant courses and programs. It has approximately 70,000 annual enrollments.
"We have expanded Canadians' access to what has been a very successful program.
These videos take what is already a good learning tool and adds more flexibility for both educators in a workshop and the public who can learn more in the comfort of their home. Available free online, this new series gives more people access to valuable information that will help them make the best financial choices for them."
-Lucie Tedesco, Commissioner of the Financial Consumer Agency of Canada
"We are pleased to be a partner with the FCAC to deliver our expertise in online learning and to provide access to a broader audience to education. At The Chang School, one of our highest priorities is delivering continuing education that is relevant and accessible. We know that adult learners live very busy lives and we want to ensure that education can be incorporated into their schedules."
- Dr. Marie Bountrogianni, Interim Dean, The Chang School, Ryerson University
- Videos on FCAC's website
- Videos on FCAC's YouTube channel
- Financial Basics: A financial literacy workshop
- The Chang School of Continuing Education
- Investor Education Fund
New Financial Basics e-learning videos: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8hXmCmXUgxWZdKyqxEjCFwIY9Od6CxqT