LONDON, UNITED KINGDOM--(Marketwire - Sept. 25, 2012) - A survey conducted by leading new home builder, Barratt homes has revealed that 70 per cent of house-hunters would prefer a brand new home, as opposed to buying or renting a second hand property. This represents a 27 per cent increase in the popularity of new homes for sale, since the same research was conducted in 2008.
During spring 2012, house-hunters were quizzed, with the 5,000 involved, noting that new homes - whether bought outright or part exchange homes - offer lower maintenance and lower running costs as well as higher specifications and solid construction.
Sales Director for Barratt Homes, Sue Blackman, commented on the survey saying: "Our customers are telling us that renting is more expensive than buying and with schemes like the government backed NewBuy 95% mortgage scheme, buyers can buy a brand new home with as little as 5% deposit. This scheme is not available in the second hand market.
"Over the past four years, Barratt has gone out of its way to improve the quality of its homes - which has been nationally recognised. Those who had put off plans to move, or have been saving for a deposit are surprised at how affordable a new build home can be."
She added: "In addition, Barratt Homes is backed by the National House Building Council's 10 year structural guarantee and our own exclusive five year Barratt warranty on fixtures and fittings."
The survey also indicated that
- Over a third (33 per cent of those polled) have been saving for more than 5 years for a deposit
- 60 per cent of respondents have been given assistance by their parents to buy a home, with 8% using them as a guarantor, 9% have been assisted in the form of a loan, 20% have been helped with the deposit and 27% assisted with furnishing the property
NOTES TO EDITORS:
1. For further information about Barratt Homes please contact Hannah Elwell or Kayleigh Moore, Unsworth Sugden, on 01162 471777 or email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. Barratt Group sold 12,637 homes in the last financial year, making it the biggest housebuilder by volume in Britain.
3. Barratt Group was awarded a maximum five star rating for the third consecutive year in the 2012 Home Builders Federation Customer Satisfaction Survey.
4. In 2012 site managers working for Barratt Group won the highest number of NHBC Pride in the Job Quality Awards for a record eighth consecutive year.
5. Barratt Group was named Housebuilder of the Year at the Housebuilder Awards 2011.
6. Barratt Group is the only housebuilder to provide a five year warranty on the fixtures and fittings in its new build homes at the time of purchase.
7. Images of a selection of developments are available to the media at http://www.barrattdevelopments.co.uk/barratt/en/media/mediakit/lib.