SURREY, BRITISH COLUMBIA--(Marketwired - Nov. 7, 2016) -
Ministry of Natural Gas Development and Responsible for Housing
Minister of Families, Children and Social Development
Individuals and families with low-to moderate-incomes and people with disabilities are benefiting from 71 new units of affordable housing rental housing at Chorus Apartments, which officially opened in Surrey today.
The building features 20 units, including three long-term lease homes, for people who have developmental disabilities, helping them stay in their community, close to family and friends. They will also have access to a range of support services, including employment training and family support.
Peninsula Estates Housing Society, a sister organization to Semiahmoo House Society, will manage and operate the new housing development. The inclusive nature of the apartment supports the society's vision that people with disabilities live full and valued lives in their community.
Located at 2350 153rd St., residents will also enjoy easy access to shopping, transit and other community amenities.
- The building is the result of a partnership between the governments of Canada and B.C., the Semiahmoo Foundation and Vancity Community Foundation.
- Total capital cost of this project is approximately $15.4 million.
- The governments of Canada and B.C. provided a combined investment of nearly $1.1 million through the Federal-Provincial Housing initiative under the Investment in Affordable Housing agreement.
- The B.C. government arranged $9.5 million in construction financing.
- Vancity Community Foundation provided a grant of $400,000.
- The Semiahmoo Foundation invested land valued at $2.18 million and cash equity of approximately $1.2 million into the project.
The Honourable Carla Qualtrough, Minister of Sport and Persons with Disabilities
"The Government of Canada is helping to make affordable housing available in Surrey and across the country for those who need it most. Through our investments in this project, both governments are working to implement local solutions to local housing challenges and helping to meet the needs of people with disabilities and low-income Canadians."
Gordon Hogg, B.C. MLA for Surrey - White Rock
"Congratulations to Semiahmoo House and the Peninsula Estates Housing Society on their creative and innovative approach to affordable housing in our community. It is rewarding to see the partnerships between community based non-profits, local businesses and various levels of government work together to create these opportunities."
Doug Tennant, Executive Director, Semiahmoo Housing Society
"We chose the name Chorus because, like a musical chorus, our community is richer and stronger when it includes and values the diversity of all people. From the very beginning, we have followed the lead of people who have developmental disabilities and their families: this apartment is a reality because they told us 13 years ago that they wanted to live in their own home in their community, close to their friends, families, and employers. Because of its inclusive nature, Chorus benefits not just people who have disabilities, but citizens of Surrey who want to live in quality affordable rental housing."
- CMHC has been helping Canadians meet their housing needs for more than 70 years. As Canada's authority on housing, CMHC contributes to the stability of the housing market and financial system, provides support for Canadians in housing need, and offers unbiased housing research and advice to Canadian governments, consumers and the housing industry. Prudent risk management, strong corporate governance and transparency are cornerstones of CMHC operations. For more information, please call 1-800-668-2642 or visit www.cmhc.ca
- Since 2001, the B.C. government has invested $4.4 billion to provide affordable housing for low-income individuals, seniors and families. More than 102,500 B.C. households benefit from provincial social housing programs and services. To find out more, go to: www.bchousing.org
Follow BC Housing on Twitter: https://twitter.com/BC_Housing