SOURCE: iGR

iGR

June 05, 2012 06:00 ET

New iGR Study Shows That Consumers Give Their Mobile Operator a 'B'

Providing a Residential Femtocell to Consumers With Marginal In-Home Coverage Would Raise Rating by a Full Grade

AUSTIN, TX--(Marketwire - Jun 5, 2012) - Despite the continued influx of smartphones and press concerning data usage, iGR's most recent U.S. consumer survey found that voice network quality is the factor end users consider most when rating their operator.

Fortunately, 65 percent of those surveyed also indicated experiencing "excellent" or "very good" in-home cellular voice reception, but what about the remaining 35 percent? What could help extend "excellent" residential voice coverage to all users?

In May 2012, iGR surveyed more than 1,000 U.S. consumers about their current use of mobile phones and wireless technologies, and specifically inquired about their wireless service experience, how they rate their carrier and view in-home voice reception, and their awareness of residential femtocells.

While approximately 47 percent of consumers do not know what a femtocell is, just 2 percent of respondents reported currently using a femto. Residential femtocells could have a measurable impact on subscriber's wireless service experience and rating. Close to 57 percent of respondents would raise their carrier's grade by a full letter or plus sign if supplied a femtocell device.

"While many people are not aware of residential femtocells, the fact is that many people have poor or marginal in-home cellular coverage," said Iain Gillott, president and founder of iGR, a market research consultancy focused on the wireless and mobile industry. "In-home coverage is one of the main ways consumers measure the 'quality' of the cellular network and assess the relative value for money. iGR's latest research finds that if a mobile operator were to offer residential femtocells, they could significantly improve their rating in the eyes of the consumer, potentially moving from a 'B' to a 'B+' or an A."

iGR's new market research report, Residential Femtocells: Impact on Carrier Grades, provides details on how consumers view in-home coverage, the factors that drive their assessment of their mobile operator's service, awareness and use of femtocells, and how a femtocell would improve the rating their give their operator.

The following key questions are addressed in the new research study:

  • How would U.S. consumers "grade" their carrier?
  • What do they consider in such a grade?
  • What kind of in-home voice reception are U.S. consumers experiencing?
  • What do they consider in assessing in-home reception?
  • Are U.S. consumers aware of residential femtocells?
  • What demographics own femtocells?
  • How do residential femtocells impact a U.S. consumer's wireless service experience?
  • How does a residential femtocell impact the grade consumers give to their mobile operator?
  • How can operators use residential femtocells to improve the consumer experience?

The information in this report will be valuable for:

  • Mobile operators, particularly those serving U.S. markets
  • Device OEMs, particularly those serving U.S. markets
  • Femtocell and mobile infrastructure vendors
  • Content providers and distributors, particularly those focused on U.S. end users
  • Financial analysts and investors.

The new report can be purchased and downloaded directly from iGR's website at www.iGR-inc.com. Alternatively, contact Iain Gillott at (512) 263-5682 or at Iain@iGR-inc.com for additional details.

About iGR

iGR is a market strategy consultancy focused on the wireless and mobile communications industry. Founded by Iain Gillott, one of the wireless industry's leading analysts, in late 2000 as iGillottResearch, iGR is now entering its twelfth year of operation. iGR continuously researches emerging and existent technologies, technology industries, and consumer markets. We use our detailed research to offer a range of services to help companies improve their position in the marketplace, clearly define their future direction, and ultimately improve their bottom line.

iGR researches a range of wireless and mobile products and technologies, including: smartphones; tablets; mobile applications; bandwidth demand and use; small cell architectures; DAS; LTE; WiMAX; VoLTE; IMS; NFC; GSM/GPRS/UMTS/HSPA; CDMA 1x/EV-DO; iDEN; SIP; macro-, pico- and femtocells; mobile backhaul; WiFi and WiFi offload; and SIM and UICC.

A more complete profile of the company can be found at www.igr-inc.com.

Contact Information