Public Works and Government Services Canada

Public Works and Government Services Canada

October 06, 2005 09:30 ET

New Name and Look for Downtown Ottawa Park

Attention: City Editor, News Editor, Travel/Tourism Editor GATINEAU, QUEBEC--(CCNMatthews - Oct. 6, 2005) - An Ottawa park on the corner of Wellington and Bay Streets was renamed today. The Garden of the Provinces will now be officially recognized as the Garden of the Provinces and Territories.

"The three territories contribute greatly to the culture, wealth and identity of this country," said the Honourable Scott Brison, Minister of Public Works and Government Services. "It's important that the name of this park, a symbol of the nation, recognizes both the provinces and territories."

Today also marked the official reopening of the Garden after several years of rehabilitation work, including restoring the signature tree-shaped metal fountain, repairing and upgrading the water supply, extensive repairs to the stonework, constructing new access ramps, and updating the provincial and territorial Coat of Arms.

The Garden of the Provinces and Territories is a historically important landmark in Ottawa. It played an important role in the vision decision makers had for the national capital. It was a meeting between Prime Minister William Lyon Mackenzie King and the French urbanist, Jacques Greber, at the 1936 Paris Exposition that the idea to build this garden first took root. When the Garden was officially opened on September 25, 1962 it was described as an impressive western gateway for Wellington Street leading to the Parliament Buildings.

- 30 -

For further information, please contact:

Renée David
Press Secretary
Public Works and Government Services Canada
(819) 997-5421

Office of Media Relations
Public Works and Government Services Canada
(819) 956-2315
IN: ECONOMY

Contact Information

  • Mario Baril
    Primary Phone: 819-956-2315