SOURCE: Nihon Kohden America

Nihon Kohden America

September 10, 2013 10:00 ET

Nihon Kohden America Brings Fresh Perspective to Patient Monitoring, Challenges Healthcare Providers to Think Differently

Driven to Improve Quality of Patient Care, Company Tackles the '80 Percent Problem'

FOOTHILL RANCH, CA--(Marketwired - Sep 10, 2013) - The statistics don't lie: When it comes to patient quality of care, a staggering 80 percent of hospitals currently do not have systems in place to continuously monitor patients other than those in conventionally monitored areas such as critical care or telemetry units -- and are thus putting lives at risk. With the World Health Organization estimating that one in 10 persons receiving health care will suffer preventable harm -- what is being done about it? It's clear that it's time for an industry-wide change in the way patients are being monitored.

In response, Nihon Kohden America, a market leader in patient monitoring breakthroughs, is championing a fundamental change to the industry -- a transformation that emphasizes improving patient outcomes. Bringing new thinking to the forefront and reinventing the business of patient monitoring, Nihon Kohden's mindset is one of partnership and active collaboration with healthcare professionals to solve their challenges.

"The '80 percent problem' is a troubling one, particularly because many adverse patient events are entirely preventable when continuous monitoring or surveillance is in place," noted Mike Dashefsky, vice president, Nihon Kohden America. "If we can help shift that statistic so that it trends lower, we can take satisfaction in knowing that our active voice as a champion for change is being heard, the status quo is shifting, and patients are being protected."

Skyrocketing costs, reimbursement issues, nurse shortages, and hospitals needing to improve quality of care all have come together to create a "perfect storm" that is hitting patient care hard. But these challenges can also be seen as an opportunity to return to the fundamentals of people caring for other people -- using technology as the enabler of change. After all, what could be more important than patient safety and quality of care? 

"Improving quality of care while controlling costs isn't just a pipe dream," said Dashefsky. In the business of helping hospitals meet clinical and financial challenges since 1979, the company is passionate about encouraging different thinking for better healthcare. According to Dashefsky, "Hospitals implementing continuous monitoring or surveillance can put forth consistent, high quality care -- and experience an immediate clinical and financial impact."

Nihon Kohden's next generation Enterprise Monitoring and Defensive Monitoring Solutions make nurses more effective -- while improving failure to rescue trends and saving hospitals money at the same time. In fact, Nihon Kohden pioneered the term defensive monitoring, which refers to using technology to extend the reach of caregivers to more quickly respond when patient conditions change.

"We believe the future of hospitals is to provide surveillance and monitoring for every patient -- regardless of their location or level of acuity," said Dashefsky. "Using technology to augment manual processes will get us there -- 20 percent of hospitals already know this, and our sights are set on the other 80 percent."

For more information, please visit www.nkusa.com/monitoring.

About Nihon Kohden America - Different Thinking for Better Healthcare

The monitoring division of Nihon Kohden America is empowering hospitals to radically improve their quality and economics of care. Its singular focus is on patient monitoring. Through collaboration with hospitals, Nihon Kohden America helps solve today's healthcare challenges. This different mindset and business approach enables the company to deliver solutions that have an immediate clinical and financial impact. Find more information at www.nkusa.com/monitoring.

Contact Information

  • Media Contact:
    Stephanie Olsen
    Lages & Associates
    949-453-8080
    Email Contact