SOURCE: Magazines Canada

Magazines Canada

November 03, 2014 10:00 ET

Number of Canadian Digital Magazine Readers Up 57%; Print Magazine Readership Remains Stable

TORONTO, ON--(Marketwired - Nov 3, 2014) - As magazine media companies increase their digital offerings, the number of digital magazine readers in Canada continues to increase, up 57% from last year, according to Print Measurement Bureau's Fall 2014 report. Nearly 10% of Canadians age 12+ reported reading a digital magazine in the past three months, up 56% from 6.1% reported in the Fall 2013 study:

 
Digital Magazine Reading in Canada
 
Digital Magazine Readers
(Past 3 months; A12+)
  Fall 2013   Fall 2014   %
Change
All readers (000s)   1,850   2,902   +57%
% of Canadians   6.1%   9.5%   +56%

Digital magazine access by device remains higher on laptops/desktops although access via tablet or smartphone have both more than doubled over the past year, closing the gap:

 
Magazine Reading by Device in Canada
 
Digital Magazine Readers
(Past 3 months; A12+)
  Fall 2013   Fall 2014   %
Change
Base - all digital readers (000's)   1,850   2,902   +57%
Device used:            
    Laptop/Desktop   927   1,630   75%
    Tablet   582   1,251   115%
    Smartphone   482   1,263   162%

80% of digital magazine readers also read print magazines. The remaining 20% only read digitally.

Digital magazine readers are more urban, higher educated and more likely to be professionals than print magazine readers:

 
Digital Magazine Reading Demographics
 
Index vs. Total Canada
A12
+
  Digital
Magazine Readers
  Non-digital
Magazine Readers
Urban areas (1 million+)   124   93
Bachelors Degree   146   100
Professionals   127   105

Fall 2014 data shows how incremental website reach (magazine print + website vs. print only) has grown over the past five years: 25% compared with 15% in 2010:

 
Incremental Website Reach vs. Print Only (%)
 
    2010 Fall   2011 Fall   2012 Fall   2013 Fall   2014 Fall
Incremental website reach
(Print + website vs. print only)
  +15%   +17%   +22%   +21%   +25%

As digital magazine readership expands, print magazine readership remains stable, reaching an average of 1 million readers per PMB-measured issue:

 
Average Print Issue Readership
 
    2010 Fall   2011 Fall   2012 Fall   2013 Fall   2014 Fall
Average Issue Readership (millions)   1.01   1.00   1.02   1.04   1.00

Engagement metrics, such as time spent reading per issue and average degree of interest scores, remain consistently strong over the past five years:

 
Average Print Engagement Scores
 
    2010 Fall   2011 Fall   2012 Fall   2013 Fall   2014 Fall
Average Minutes per Issue   41   42   41   41   45
Average Degree of Interest (1-10)   6.8   6.9   6.9   6.9   6.9

Source: Print Measurement Bureau, Fall 2014 Report

About Magazines Canada
Magazines Canada is the national, not-for-profit trade association representing Canadian-owned, Canadian-content consumer, cultural, specialty, professional and business media magazines. French and English member titles offer a wide range of topics including business, professional, news, politics, sports, arts and culture, leisure, lifestyle, women and youth, made available on multiple platforms. The association focuses on government affairs, services to the advertising trade, circulation marketing and the development of career skills for and the recognition of excellence among the people who work in Canada's magazine media. Visit magazinescanada.ca.

Contact Information

  • For more information:
    Amanda Raponi Hart
    Information Centre Manager
    Magazines Canada
    416.596.5382
    Email Contact