WACO, TX--(Marketwire - Oct 11, 2011) - The dripping sound coming from the kitchen sink usually means money is going down the drain. But toilets often leak silently, leaving homeowners unaware of the water and money they're wasting.
According to the Environmental Protection Agency, a leaky toilet can waste about 200 gallons of water a day. To help homeowners better understand their toilets and how they work, Mr. Rooter Plumbing has an online animated toilet diagram at www.mrrooter.com/Services/Residential/Toilets.aspx. (Turn speakers up for the full effect!)
"Our toilet diagram is a fun way to learn more about your toilet," said Mary Kennedy Thompson, president of Mr. Rooter Corporation. "National Toilet Tank Repair Month is a wonderful reminder that regular plumbing check keeps our plumbing fixtures in good working condition."
It's also a good time to detect problems and make any necessary toilet repair. In celebration of October being National Toilet Tank Repair Month, Mr. Rooter Plumbing has these plumbing tips:
- Replace flappers and fill valves every couple of years to prevent a running toilet.
- Adjust the chain or float ball in the tank if water continues to flow after flushing.
- Install an ultra low-flow toilet that requires only 1.3 gallons of water per flush compared to older models' 3.5 gallons.
Follow this advice from Mr. Rooter Plumbing to locate silent toilet leaks:
- First, put an old towel around the base of the toilet in case of a leak. (The dye can stain flooring.)
- Then put several drops of dark food coloring into the toilet tank.
- If dye appears in the bowl, there's a leak.
The problem could be one of two things: either replace the flapper at the bottom of the tank or adjust/replace the fill valve. Home repair stores carry these toilet repair parts. If you aren't a do-it-yourselfer, Mr. Rooter Plumbing is just a phone call away.
About Mr. Rooter®:
Established in 1970, Mr. Rooter is an all-franchised, full-service plumbing and drain cleaning company with approximately 300 franchises worldwide. Recognized by Entrepreneur magazine among its "Franchise 500" and Franchise Times Top 200, Mr. Rooter franchisees provide services to both residential and commercial customers. Mr. Rooter began franchising in 1974 and is a subsidiary of The Dwyer Group, Inc. For more information or to find the location nearest you, please visit our Web site at www.mrrooter.com or www.mrrooter.ca. Follow us on www.facebook.com/mrrootercorporation and twitter.com/mrrootercorp