Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters

Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters

September 30, 2013 15:01 ET

OFAH Media Release: Don't Take a Holiday From Safety This Fall

Prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning by Taking Proper Precautions

PETERBOROUGH, ONTARIO--(Marketwired - Sept. 30, 2013) - The fall hunting season is ramping up across the province, during which time, thousands of hunters are heading for the bush to spend time at their camps and cabins. The Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters and Kawartha Lakes Fire and Rescue want to remind hunters and others enjoying their rural properties of some of the unforeseen dangers that can prove deadly.

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colourless, odourless, tasteless and toxic gas and is often referred to as the "silent killer." When inhaled it inhibits the blood's capacity to transport oxygen throughout the body. It can poison the body quickly in high concentrations, or slowly over long periods of time. Exposure to CO can cause flu-like symptoms such as headaches, nausea, dizziness, burning eyes, confusion, drowsiness or loss of consciousness. In severe cases, CO poisoning can cause brain damage and death.

"Whether you're catching up with family and friends or reminiscing about past hunts, the camp is a place to unwind and enjoy our hunting traditions," said OFAH Executive Director Angelo Lombardo. "It is, however, easy to get distracted and put safety on the backburner. The OFAH strongly encourages hunt camp owners to thoroughly inspect all heating equipment and appliances on a regular basis to ensure they're working properly."

Carbon monoxide is a by-product of incomplete combustion of fuels such as natural gas, propane, heating oil, kerosene, coal, charcoal, gasoline or wood. This incomplete combustion can occur in any device that depends on burning for energy or heat, such as furnaces, room heaters, fireplaces, stoves or grills and any gas-powered vehicle or engine. Gas barbecues operated inside the camp, grills or kerosene heaters that are not properly vented, or chimneys or vents that are dirty or plugged may create unsafe levels of CO. When properly installed, maintained and vented, any CO produced by these devices will not stay inside.

"We all look forward to the fall hunt," said Fire Prevention Inspector Brian McCuaig, a hunter himself. "Don't have yours ruined by a preventable mishap. Ensure your CO alarms and smoke alarms are working properly, and maintain a safe camp. Safety shouldn't be compromised just because you're not at home."

To learn more about fire prevention, visit www.kawarthalakesfire.com.

With over 100,000 members, subscribers and supporters, and 710 member clubs, the OFAH is the province's largest nonprofit, fish and wildlife conservation-based organization, and the VOICE of anglers and hunters. For more information, visit www.ofah.org.

Contact Information