SOURCE: Mitchell International

Mitchell International

November 04, 2009 08:00 ET

PDA Selects Mitchell International for Extended Estimating Solutions

Top Vehicle and Property Appraiser Renews Contract and Expands Relationship to Include WorkCenter™ Compliance Manager and WorkCenter™ Total Loss Solutions

SAN DIEGO, CA and FORT WORTH, TX--(Marketwire - November 4, 2009) - Mitchell International, Inc., a leading provider of information, workflow and performance management solutions to the Property & Casualty claims and Collision Repair industries, today announced that PDA Corporation, the largest automobile inspection and appraisal service network in the country, has signed a renewal contract extending the PDA relationship with Mitchell for the next seven years. Under the terms of the contract, PDA will extend its use of Mitchell claims processing solutions to include UltraMate® Premier Suite, UltraMate® Motorcycle Estimating, TruckEst™ Estimating, WorkCenter™ Compliance and WorkCenter™ Total Loss. Empowered with this comprehensive tool kit of Mitchell products, PDA is well equipped to ensure top claims performance throughout its nationwide network of appraisal franchises.

"PDA has selected a wide range of Mitchell estimating products because they enable us to provide the industry's most accurate appraisals, which in turn reduces turnaround time and decreases claim loss adjustment expense for our customers," said Rodney Caudill, CEO at PDA Corporation.

PDA's network of 265 franchise offices and more than 700 auto and property appraisers conducts a high volume of vehicle appraisals throughout the U.S. Reviewing and correcting estimates with multiple trading partners is an absolute necessity, which is why PDA chose WorkCenter™ Compliance. PDA's decision to add WorkCenter™ Compliance to its roster of Mitchell estimating products was based on its ability to dramatically streamline the estimating process by eliminating errors and inaccuracies up front -- before the estimate is committed and sent to the insurer. The result -- reduced cycle time and decreased friction with partners -- will add to PDA's business performance.

"PDA's commitment to an expanded partnership validates Mitchell's progress in building additional, valuable claims workflow solutions around the estimating process," said Scott Kozak, Senior Vice President of Auto Physical Damage Insurance Service and Sales for Mitchell International. "We look forward to continuing to deliver the best in estimating and workflow to PDA and the physical damage claims marketplace."

About PDA Corporation

Fort Worth, TX-based PDA Inc., ( is a nationwide network of 265 franchise offices and more than 700 auto and property appraisers -- the largest automobile appraisal and inspection service network in the industry. PDA's primary market is the property and casualty insurance industry, which accounts for approximately 90% of its total inspection volume, with financial institutions serving as the remaining 10% of the volume.

About Mitchell International, Inc.

Mitchell International ( is a leading provider of information and workflow solutions to the Property & Casualty Insurance Claims and Automotive Collision Repair industries. The company's comprehensive solution portfolio streamlines the entire auto physical damage, bodily injury and workers compensation claims processes. Mitchell enables millions of electronic transactions between more than 30,000 business partners each month to enhance partner productivity, profitability, and customer satisfaction.