SOURCE: Arizona Lottery

Arizona Lottery

August 16, 2013 17:27 ET

Pick 3™ Players May Be Eligible for Replacement Tickets

Pick 3 Tickets for Draws Purchased Between June 10 and August 3 May Be Affected

PHOENIX, AZ--(Marketwired - Aug 16, 2013) - The Arizona Lottery has identified an error in the computerized drawing system for Pick 3, which affects a portion of the tickets for draws purchased between June 10 and August 3, 2013.

Pick 3 is an Arizona Lottery draw game in which players pick three numbers and can win a prize up to $500. Tickets cost $1 each and drawings are held every day, Monday through Saturday.

On August 5, 2013, the Arizona Lottery discovered there was an issue in the Pick 3 programming code that prevented the numbers 8 and 9 from being drawn in certain positions between June 10 and August 3, 2013. This error resulted in 92.3 percent of tickets purchased having a better chance to win, and caused 7.7 percent to have no chance of winning.

Although the majority of Pick 3 players were not affected, the Arizona Lottery will be providing a replacement ticket for any Pick 3 ticket purchased during that time period using the number 8 and 9 on all of the Pick 3 play types listed in the chart below:

       
  1st 2nd 3rd
Straight (Exact)   9 8 or 9
Box (Any) 3-Way Any 8 or 9
Box (Any) 6-Way Any 8 or 9
Straight/Box 6-way Any 8 or 9
Front Pair   9  
Back Pair   9 8 or 9
Straight/Box 3-Way Any 8 or 9
   

As soon as the error was suspected, the Arizona Lottery immediately assembled an investigative team to research the issue.

"Once the error was identified, it was immediately corrected," said Jeff Hatch-Miller, Director of the Arizona Lottery. "The Arizona Lottery assures our players that the issue has been remedied, and the Pick 3 drawings will continue to move forward with the utmost integrity."

Beginning Monday, August 19, 2013, the Arizona Lottery will be offering eligible players three options to receive replacement tickets equal to the sales price of the affected tickets purchased. If numbers were selected by the player, the replacement tickets will reflect the same numbers. If the tickets were a Quick Pick®, then the newly issued tickets will be Quick Pick, but replacements will have different numbers than the originals.

Option 1: In Person

Players must bring their affected tickets to the Arizona Lottery offices in Phoenix or Tucson prior to September 30, 2013. Replacement tickets equal to the sales price of the affected tickets purchased will be issued. Tickets must be relinquished upon replacement.

Phoenix Office: Tucson Office:
4740 E. University Drive 4010 E. Grant Road
Phoenix AZ 85034 Tucson, AZ 85712
480-921-4400 520-628-5107

Option 2: In-State Mail

Players must mail affected tickets to the Arizona Lottery (Phoenix office only) to receive replacement tickets equal to the sales price of the affected tickets purchased. Tickets will be printed and mailed via U.S. Postal Service prior to the draw, but received after the draw. Check the winning numbers for the draw date printed on the tickets.

Mail to:  
Attn: Ticket Replacement
Arizona Lottery
P.O. Box 2913
Phoenix, AZ 85062-2913

Option 3: Out-of-State Mail

Out-of-state players must mail affected tickets to receive a letter offering replacement tickets. The original letter with the embossed Lottery seal must be presented in person to the Arizona Lottery offices by close of business on December 31, 2013.

Mail to:  
Attn: Ticket Replacement
Arizona Lottery
P.O. Box 2913
Phoenix, AZ 85062-2913

Players must be 21 years or older to purchase or redeem tickets. Winners have 180 days from the drawing date to claim their prize at an Arizona Lottery office or by mail. Overall odds vary by game. All sales are final. In accordance with the ADA, these materials may be made available in an alternative format. Gambling Problem? Call 1.800.NEXT STEP (1-800-639-8783). Please Play Responsibly™.

About the Arizona Lottery
The Arizona Lottery operates entirely from the revenue it generates through the sale of its products; it receives no General Fund dollars from the State. Proceeds from sales of Lottery tickets -- nearly $3.4 million per week -- fund a variety of state programs. Since July 1981, the Arizona Lottery has paid out more than $5.4 billion in prizes to players, nearly $3 billion in net profit to the state and more than $641 million in commissions to retailers.

Contact Information

  • Contact:
    Jennifer Adler
    E.B. Lane
    Office (602) 417-1594