MOUNTAIN VIEW, CA--(Marketwire - Feb 5, 2013) - The role-playing fantasy game, Life Is Magic from Red Robot Labs is now available globally, for free on Android devices. Attracting widespread gamer interest and downloads, the game is currently featured on Google Play and was named a "New and Noteworthy" App on the iTunes App Store in December 2012. Players in Canada, UK, Australia, South Korea, Italy, Germany, Spain and elsewhere can now play with U.S. gamers on their Android device; the global iOS launch is coming later this month.
Life Is Magic intertwines real-world locations with evolving social gameplay, allowing players to form teams and benefit from each other's progress as they battle for territory. The turn-based combat style lets players test new spells and weapons to tailor their battle plan before diving into monster-inhabited dungeons. Balancing risk with reward, gamers decide whether to walk away with loot obtained for the levels completed or press on to fight against increasingly challenging enemies for greater winnings. View the trailer here: http://redrobotlabs.com/games/life-is-magic.
"I'm proud that our talented team beat the immense tech and design challenges to make it possible for players on any mobile device -- iPhone, iPad, iPod, Android phone, or Android tablet -- to play Life Is Magic in the same persistent world," said Pete Hawley, co-founder and chief product officer, Red Robot Labs. "With lots of exciting developments to come this year like new characters, spells, 10 rare items and a massive shift in competition with a player versus player gaming environment, we aim to keep gamers' passports filled with fun, exciting and magical battles."
"Life Is Magic is the culmination of all our R2 platform technology and our learnings from Life Is Crime," said Mike Ouye, CEO and co-founder, Red Robot Labs. "We've already seen overwhelmingly positive feedback from our players and believe Life is Magic will define the location gaming genre for years to come."
Escaping the daily routine of work and life for a parallel world of magic, players assume the role of the Mage, Monk or Machinist each with unique spells, weapons and armor. With a strong focus on community, three players form a Magic Circle team to conquer dungeons and influence the evolution of the landscape. Members of the Magic Circle can strategize using the new chat system and exchange gifts with one another to increase the team's power.
With the GPS feature enabled on the device, players can teleport to major cities in the U.S. and more than 30 countries to explore a vivid fantasy world grounded in real world locations. They must also build their individual wealth, power and influence in the world.
Only the strongest teams will be able to climb the monster-infested Magic Towers that dot the landscape. Upon beating the Towers' final boss, players will become master and owner of the building. Players use a blend of science and elemental magic in the ultimate race to become the most influential mage in the world. Later this year, the game will expand to support a player versus player (PvP) gaming environment.
Life Is Magic product features include:
- Mage, Monk or Machinist - Choose and customize your character, each with unique skills, spells and abilities.
- Location-based gameplay - Discover new players, monsters, places, spells, quests and events around you. Teleport to other locations across the U.S. and the world.
- Build wealth, power and influence - Players acquire gold, fight monsters to gain power and explore locations to raise their influence. Compete to become the most powerful mage of a city and kingdom.
- Magic Circles - Three players form a team to fight monsters. Magic Circle members leverage team members' unique skill sets.
- Combat - All members of a Magic Circle do not need to be present to fight monsters, which are lurking in dungeons strewn across the world.
- Visit real locations - Beautifully rendered 3D streets are accurate to real locations. Players explore in-game venues to obtain quests and special items.
- Seven Regions - Players will automatically join one of seven U.S. regions each with their own banner, representing the players' home location.
- Spell Cards are a collection - Collect and earn spell cards, which act as the player skill set. Players selectively equip specific cards to create different combinations during combat.
- Transform the map and conquer Magic Towers - Conquer monster-infested Magic Towers in the world to claim ownership.
- Global, local and team chat - Strategize with others players on tips and tricks via in-game chat.
Life Is Magic is available now for iPad, iPhone and iPod touch on the App store here: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/life-is-magic/id549877045?mt=8 and for Android devices here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.redrobotlabs.lifeismagic&feature=search_result. For more information visit: http://redrobotlabs.com/ or follow us on Twitter @RedRobotLabs.
About Red Robot Labs
Red Robot Labs is a mobile gaming start-up developing and publishing games that leverage consumers' location around the globe. Its headquarters are in Mountain View, California. The company was founded in January 2011 by a team of industry veterans, Mike Ouye, Pete Hawley and John Harris, who are passionate about creating and launching innovative, highly polished mobile games. Its location-based mobile crime game, Life Is Crime for Android and iOS, was named by Entertainment Weekly as one of the top 10 Apps of 2011. Life Is Magic, a new fantasy role-playing game redefines the location gaming genre with its beautiful graphics, deep social gameplay and global, multi-platform mobile device support. Investors include Social+Capital Partnership, Shasta Ventures, Rick Thompson co-founder of Playdom and Mitch Lasky, general partner, Benchmark Capital.