WAYNE, PA--(Marketwired - Jul 16, 2013) - Point.io today released its enterprise Backend-as-a-Service (BaaS) platform and Gateway products for mobile application development. Focused on document management and workflow, the platform is designed to help enterprises embrace BYOD while maintaining control of their content. With Point.io, developers can build document-centric mobile apps that allow users to access and share content on any device, anywhere, while improving workflow, efficiently and securely.
"By design, enterprises have been locking down their content for decades, but with the shift in workforce mobility it's become critical that content, and the workflows that thrive on it, are unleashed to devices beyond the corporate firewall," said Ron Rock, CEO of Point.io. "Point.io allows enterprises and developers to easily build applications that integrate public and behind-the-firewall content in a secure and compliant way, without copying or synching files to other locations. We are making it possible for businesses to embrace mobile access to corporate work and are fundamentally changing the way real work gets done."
Point.io enables a significant reduction in both the time and cost associated with developing and maintaining enterprise mobile apps. With Point.io, employees, partners and customers can access unstructured data regardless of where documents live in an organization. Documents can be seamlessly sourced to a mobile device from public cloud-based storage services like Box and Dropbox as well as from behind-the-firewall repositories like MS SharePoint, IBM's Filenet or EMC's Documentum, with one common RESTful API.
Free iOS Reference App
Point.io is releasing a free reference application for iOS and announcing an exclusive partnership with TheHostingPros, Inc. whose website, Sharepoint99.com, will provide a free Sharepoint site when setup in-app with a Point.io account. The app will be available in the Apple Store to accelerate employee-facing mobile initiatives by creating a simple platform for pilot programs leveraging MS Sharepoint and Box cloud storage. The free Sharepoint99.com site provides an opportunity to test-drive Point.io's integration with Sharepoint while establishing a viable business-class storage solution for small businesses.
Stratospherix Ltd. Partnership
Point.io is also excited to announce a partnership with Stratospherix Ltd., a UK-based developer of enterprise-class, mobile applications. At launch, Stratospherix Ltd. will release an update to its flagship iOS product, FileBrowser, which will bring the power of Point.io to 600,000 users across 70 countries in five different languages.
"Point.io's API integration into FileBrowser expands our capabilities and eliminates the need to write additional backend code," said Nathan Tamblin, Founder of Stratospherix. "This significantly enhances our offering to organizations demanding access to documents from disparate storage sources and makes FileBrowser even more valuable to users that rely on their mobile devices to do real work."
The Point.io Solution
The Point.io system sits between mobile handsets and the document storage systems attached to enterprise networks to make integration simple. Point.io's API and enterprise BaaS platform are available free of charge for integration with any cloud-based storage service. The Point.io Gateway and enterprise connections are available through monthly or yearly subscriptions. The Point.io Gateway is currently being used in pilot programs by a range of financial services, technology and healthcare organizations. A self-installable beta version is available on a limited basis.
Point.io's mobile enterprise solution is made up of three parts: the API, the Platform, and the Gateway.
- The Point.io API is a free set of infrastructure-agnostic capabilities, which makes it simple for application developers to incorporate enterprise-class mobile document management features into their projects.
- The Point.io Platform is a storage-aware, cloud-based middleware rich with document-centric features that seamlessly navigates enterprise storage systems, cloud locations and dispersed geographies to ensure that document-oriented mobile apps run smoothly.
- The Point.io Gateway is a virtual appliance that brings the capability of the Point.io Platform on-premise to allow security-sensitive processing to run in-house rather than in the cloud. The Point.io Gateway also seamlessly manages the integration with corporate authentication and document management systems to bring the full power of the consumer app marketplace to corporate users without sacrificing security, control or compliance.
Features & Benefits for Applications Powered by Point.io
- Manages the mobile consumption of documents outside the firewall in a secure, compliant and fully auditable way.
- Allows users to securely share information with anyone, anywhere, at any time and on any device.
- Prevents loss of control over company assets; documents always stay on their network even when employees use their own device (BYOD).
- Constant, precise controls over what any person can do with any folder (e.g. print, edit, share) with rules-based security.
- Organizes and logically displays all the files a user or team needs together in one app regardless of where files are actually located.
- Tracks all document interactions across all apps, all devices and all users; consolidated compliance and audit reporting makes risk management simple.
- Manages document-centric workflows to bring structure to mobile processes; 'one-thumb' approvals, reviews and collaborative activity.
Point.io is an enterprise-class mobile productivity solution that allows users to access and manage documents on any device, from anywhere, regardless of where the document is stored. Point.io's API and cloud-based platform allows enterprises and developers to more easily build applications that let users access and work on documents with their mobile devices, efficiently and securely, while maintaining or even improving workflows, regardless of where the data or documents live in the organization.
Founded by Andrew Schwabe and led by CEO Ron Rock, the Point.io team brings together executives that have built careers in enterprise document management, BPM, SaaS, and mobile technologies -- from global organizations to start-ups. With experience in developing, selling, deploying and supporting companies in the Fortune 100, the team brings the expertise necessary to bridge the gap between the innovative world of independent app developers and the risk-sensitive business of enterprise software delivery.
Point.io is self-funded; to date the company has raised $1.5 million in seed round funding.