VAUGHAN, ONTARIO--(Marketwired - March 31, 2014) - PowerStream, a community-owned energy company committed to safety, has partnered with the Ontario Regional Common Ground Alliance (ORCGA) to remind customers to call before they dig when beginning a construction project.
Tuesday marks the start of 'Dig Safe Month' a provincial initiative to promote safety and reduce damages to underground infrastructure by raising awareness of safe digging practices. PowerStream is celebrating Dig Safe Month in a number of ways, including a ceremonial flag-raising of the Dig Safe flag at its head office in Vaughan and South Operations Centre in Markham.
Homeowners often make risky assumptions about whether or not they should get the location of their underground utility lines marked, but every digging job requires a call - even small projects like planting trees and shrubs. Residents and small business customers taking on any new project should always remember the following steps:
1. Call 'Ontario One Call' before digging at 1-800-400-2255
2. Wait for a PowerStream cable locater to arrive and mark the area
3. Respect the marks; avoid digging in these areas
4. Dig with care
- "PowerStream is committed to community and customer safety," says Maurizio Bevilacqua, PowerStream Board Chair and Mayor of the City of Vaughan. "When taking on any project that requires digging, we strongly encourage our customers to contact Ontario One Call and leave the task of locating to a PowerStream professional."
- "PowerStream is proud to partner with ORCGA in promoting Dig Safe Month," says Brian Bentz, PowerStream President and CEO. "Many people take on new yard work projects during the month of April and it is important that they are mindful of the safety procedures if their projects involve digging."
- PowerStream receives over 60,000 requests for cable locates each year; these location of underground wires are marked in red on a property.
- PowerStream has been a member of Ontario One Call, a division of the Ministry of Consumer Services, since 2008.
- PowerStream has been a member of the ORCGA since 2010. The ORCGA is a non-profit organization which establishes best practices for locates and related services across the province, while promoting efficient and effective damage prevention for underground infrastructure.
PowerStream is a community-owned energy company that provides power and related services to more than 365,000 customers residing or owning a business in communities located immediately north of Toronto and in Central Ontario. It is jointly owned by the Cities of Barrie, Markham and Vaughan.
eStream - Blog.PowerStream.ca
Twitter - @PowerStreamNews
Facebook - PowerStreamPage
YouTube - PowerStreamTV
LinkedIn - PowerStreamInc
Google+ - +PowerStream