SAN JOSE, CA--(Marketwired - May 5, 2014) - Mother knows best, at least when it comes to watching television and controlling the remote, according to TiVo, the leader in advanced television entertainment, and the results from its second annual Mother's Day survey.
The survey found that, surprisingly, it's mom who most often controls the remote when the family watches television together, by a 41 percent to 24 percent margin over dads. TiVo's survey also discovered that more than two-thirds (67.2 percent) of U.S. moms have a DVR in their home, making the technology the third device they cannot live without, behind mobile phones and laptops. While computers are playing a bigger role in the family dynamic, the survey found that families still fight over control of the remote more than they fight over control of the family laptop.
Cooking reality shows retained their top spot for moms, with shows like Top Chef being the most popular among 35 percent of moms polled -- both to watch and participate in. One-third of the moms in the survey named Bobby Flay as their most wanted in-home personal chef from Food Network.
Other notable findings from TiVo's 2014 Mother's Day survey include:
Moms Want the Simple Things
- For Mother's Day this year, 44.5 percent of moms surveyed said they most want their favorite meal as a gift; a spa day came in second at 30.3 percent
- With a free hour while the kids watch their favorite TV show, one-third said they would use the time to catch up on housework (31.5 percent), ahead of reading (14.9 percent)
- More than half (50.9 percent) of moms said if they had their family DVR to themselves for a week, they would most likely use it to catch up on their own recorded TV shows
- With their reality show viewing, 30.1 percent of moms prefer to snack on chips, while 29.5 percent prefer chocolate and 22.3 percent prefer cheese and crackers
2014 TV Family Dynamics
- According to this year's findings, families fight most over the remote control (53.1 percent), more than twice as much as the family computer (24.9 percent)
- Big Bang Theory emerged as the top show respondents said their whole family enjoys watching together (22.5 percent), followed by American Idol (16.6 percent) and Modern Family (11.8 percent)
Kids Know TV Tech Best
- Half (50 percent) of moms surveyed said their children know how to use their DVR better than they do
2014 Hot TV Moms and Dads
- Moms are big on syndication, with Rachel Green (played by Jennifer Aniston) of "Friends" chosen as this year's all-time hottest TV mom, according to respondents (29.2 percent)
- The nostalgia continues with Jessie Katsopolis (played by John Stamos) of "Full House" ranked as the all-time sexiest TV dad (34.7 percent)
- Respondents picked Clair Huxtable (played by Phylicia Rashad) of "The Cosby Show" as the best TV mom of all time (26.2 percent), followed by last year's best mom, Marion Cunningham of "Happy Days" (16.8 percent)
- Moms said the funniest mom on TV right now is Claire Dunphy from "Modern Family" (30.8 percent), followed closely by Lily Aldrin-Erikson from "How I Met Your Mother" (29.2 percent)
TiVo Roamio Plus and Roamio Pro offer families between 150 to 450 hours of HD entertainment, with the ability to record up to six shows at once, ensuring everyone gets to save favorite TV moments. Supporting apps such as YouTube, Netflix and Hulu, TiVo Roamio gives the whole family access to all of their favorite streaming content from the living room, bedroom or remote locations, as well as access from mobile devices (with certain models), including tablets and mobile phones while on road trips, business trips, or visiting the grandparents.
TiVo's Mother's Day Survey was conducted online with a nationally representative sample of moms, ages 18-75 and a representative sample of TiVo subscribers who are moms. Survey responses were gathered from April 4 to April 7, 2014. A total of 453 nationally representative moms and 87 TiVo subscriber moms participated.
Chat with #TiVoMoms @TiVo via Twitter on Tuesday, May 6th from 1:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m. EDT for more fun insight into these survey findings, all things Mother's Day and a chance to win free prizes! Visit TiVo Mother's Day Twitter Party! for more details.
About TiVo Inc.
Founded in 1997, TiVo Inc. (NASDAQ: TIVO) developed the first commercially available digital video recorder (DVR). Today TiVo is a global leader in advanced television service for virtually any platform or device. TiVo offers its service directly to consumers, and also distributes its technology and services through solutions tailored for cable, satellite and broadcasting companies. Since its founding, TiVo has evolved into the ultimate single-solution media center by combining its patented DVR technologies and universal cable box capabilities with the ability to aggregate, search and deliver millions of pieces of broadband, cable and broadcast content directly to the television. TiVo also continues to weave itself into the fabric of the media industry by providing interactive advertising solutions and audience research and measurement ratings services to the television industry www.tivo.com.