Department of National Defence

Department of National Defence

March 24, 2009 10:56 ET

Provincial Awards Ceremony Recognizes Employers Who Support Canadian Forces Reservists

HALIFAX, NOVA SCOTIA--(Marketwire - March 24, 2009) - Former lieutenant-governor of Nova Scotia and current Maritime Forces Atlantic Honorary Captain (Navy), the Honourable Myra A. Freeman, presided over an awards ceremony organized by the Canadian Forces Liaison Council (CFLC) on Thursday, March 19, at Canadian Forces Base Halifax. The ceremony recognized civilian employers who have shown support toward employees who are also Reservists in the Canadian Forces (CF).

Also in attendance were Commodore Mark Norman, Commander Canadian Fleet Atlantic, and George T.H. Cooper, Nova Scotia Provincial Chair for the CFLC.

Hon. Capt(N) Freeman stated that, "A part of military service that Canadians don't often get to see is the sacrifices that Reserve Force soldiers, sailors and aircrew make in order to train and serve Canada. While about 75% of Canadian Forces members deployed overseas are Regular Force - or full-time members, they are augmented on most missions by members of the Reserve Force, the other 25%.

These Reservists would normally be attending university or college, or working at a full-time civilian career. When they have an opportunity to serve, however, they consider it an honour, and step forward immediately to volunteer. Sadly, many of those who are selected to serve have had to resign from their civilian jobs, or lose academic credits and fees in order to participate in an overseas mission with the Canadian Forces."

The following organizations received provincial awards:

- Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada Atlantic Food and Horticulture Research Centre

- Dalhousie University - Networks and Systems

- MacDonald Dettwiler and Associates Ltd.

- Maritime Forces Atlantic Headquarters - Assistant Chief of Staff Information Management - Information Security Assessment Team

- Northumberland Regional High School

- Nova Scotia Provincial Government - Public Service Commission - Resources Corporate Services Unit

- Public Works and Government Services Canada - Atlantic Region - Professional and Technical Services

- Rosborough Boats

- Sobeys National IT Department

The CFLC is a group of civilian business leaders and educators who volunteer their time and effort to promote the primary Reserve Force - Canada's part-time military - by highlighting the benefits of Reserve Force training and experience to the civilian workplace.

The mandate of the CFLC is to enhance the availability of Reservists for their military duty by obtaining the support and co-operation of organization leaders in Canada. The CFLC's vision is that all organization leaders in Canada actively support Reservists.

Official awards ceremonies are one means of recognizing supportive employers, who are nominated by individual Reservist employees. These awards enable the mission of the CFLC: To educate organization leaders on the Reserve Force and encourage them to support training and operations with minimal impact on the Reservist.

Further details about CFLC or the Reserve Force Employer Support Program can be found on the Internet at www.cflc.forces.gc.ca.

Contact Information

  • Captain(N) Craig Walkington
    CFLC Liaison Officer for Nova Scotia
    902-721-0221
    Cell phone: 902-489-5568
    craig.walkington@forces.gc.ca
    or
    Chief Reserves and Cadets
    Captain John Weingardt
    Public Affairs Officer
    613-996-6135
    or
    CFLC
    Secretariat
    1-800-567-9908
    cflc@forces.gc.ca