OTTAWA, ONTARIO--(Marketwired - June 28, 2013) - Their Excellencies the Right Honourable David Johnston, Governor General of Canada, and Mrs. Sharon Johnston, along with Frontier College volunteers, will officially launch Storytime at Rideau Hall, on Saturday, June 29, at 11 a.m.
Over the summer months, this outdoor family reading activity will be hosted in collaboration with Frontier College, a Canadian non-profit organization that promotes literacy. Every Friday and Saturday, from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m., the general public, families and youth groups are invited to come to the Frontier College Reading Tent where they can read great Canadian children's books and participate in fun literacy activities.
While at Rideau Hall, you are also invited to take in the sights and visit for the whole day as a wide range of free activities will be offered on-site during the summer, including on Canada Day, Monday, July 1, 2013:
- Explore the grounds at your leisure with the help of our tour brochure. The grounds open daily at 8 a.m. and close one hour before sunset.
- Stop by the Visitor Centre and learn more about the history of Rideau Hall.
- Have a picnic! Bring your own lunch and blanket and settle in under a tree or at one of our picnic tables. Children are also invited to enjoy the play structure.
- Witness the pageantry and colour of the Ceremonial Guard during the hourly Relief of the Sentries.
- Visit the official residence of the Governor General with our guides and discover the historic treasures in the public rooms by playing our Search + Discover Game! Guided tours of the residence take place daily from 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
For more information about our summer activities, schedules or guided tours, please call 613-991-4422 or 1-866-842-4422 (toll-free) or write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Also, visit our website at www.gg.ca/visitus.
Media wishing to cover the launch of Storytime at Rideau Hall should confirm their attendance with the Rideau Hall Press Office and arrive at the Thomas Gate no later than 10:45 a.m., on the day of the event.
Follow GGDavidJohnston and RideauHall on Facebook and Twitter