OAKBROOK TERRACE, IL--(Marketwire - Feb 8, 2013) - As Hollywood awaits the culmination of awards season, Redbox has announced the winners of the 2012 Redbox® Movie Awards, its second-annual celebration of the year's top-rented movies and favorite movie moments. Redbox revealed its full list of film honors with three animated award videos hosted at redbox.com/MovieAwards.
Movie lovers brought home more than 700 million Redbox rentals in 2012, and their selections paint a unique picture of what entertains America. The third and final Redbox Movie Awards video debuted today and announced the 10 most-rented movies of 2012.
While record-grossing action films proved popular at the kiosk last year, the throwback comedy 21 Jump Street claimed the honor of the most-rented Redbox movie of 2012 with more than 9 million rentals.
Award winners across various genres were unveiled over the past week and include:
The Redbox Movie Awards also honored Adam Sandler with a Lifetime Achievement Award and a coveted Ruby statuette. Sandler has made America laugh in movies like Jack and Jill, Just Go With It and Grown Ups, making him one of the all-time most-rented actors at Redbox, with more than 40 million rentals.
The Most-Rented Actor of 2012 was Channing Tatum, who starred in notable movies such as The Vow, 21 Jump Street and Magic Mike. Elizabeth Banks won the award for Most-Rented Actress of 2012 due to the rental success of movies such as The Hunger Games, What to Expect When You're Expecting and Man on a Ledge.
Redbox Movie Awards Survey Snapshot
More than 30,000 Redbox customers responded to the Movie Awards poll in December, and the results for most memorable movie standouts include:
- Favorite Hero: The man in an armored suit held a superhuman grip on America's heart, as Robert Downey Jr. claimed top honors for his role as Iron Man.
- Favorite Villain: Charlize Theron held the throne as the year's most unforgettable evil-doer as Queen Ravenna in Snow White and the Huntsman.
- Favorite Animated Character: Princess Merida brought the silver screen to life with her strong personality and fiery red hair in Brave.
- Favorite Dance Scene: Magic Mike won this award multiple times over, with notable performances from Channing Tatum and Matthew McConaughey.
To celebrate America's favorite movies, thru 2/28 consumers can text RUBY to 727272 for a deal on their next rental. (Promo code expires 2/28/2013 at 11:59:59 p.m. CT. WHEN YOU TEXT RUBY TO 727272, YOU'LL GET UP TO 2 MESSAGES. 2 messages a week. Message & data rates may apply. Text STOP to cancel, HELP for help.)
For more information about the Redbox Movie Awards, visit redbox.com/MovieAwards.
Redbox Automated Retail, LLC, a wholly owned subsidiary of Coinstar, Inc. (NASDAQ: CSTR), offers new-release DVD, Blu-ray Disc™ and video-game rentals through its network of conveniently located, self-service kiosks. Redbox has rented more than 2.5 billion discs and is available at approximately 43,000 kiosks across 35,500 locations nationwide, including leading grocery, drug and convenience stores, and select Walgreens, Walmart and McDonald's locations in some markets. For more information, visit redbox.com.
* The 2012 Redbox Movie Awards are based on 2012 rental data through December 6, 2012 and a Redbox Movie Awards survey that polled more than 30,000 Redbox customers nationwide in December 2012.