GUELPH, ON--(Marketwired - August 03, 2016) - Reid's Heritage Homes has achieved yet another milestone, becoming the first builder in Canada to have a Net Zero Energy (NZE) home qualified under the Canadian Home Builder's Association (CHBA) NZE Labeling Program Pilot.
"The CHBA would like to congratulate the team at Reid's Heritage Homes on achieving this recognition. They consistently demonstrate their passion and drive to make Net Zero Energy homes an affordable reality for Canadians. Their enthusiastic participation in industry events to share what they have learned speaks volumes about their leadership in this area," says Sonja Winkelmann, Director, Net Zero Energy Housing, Canadian Home Builders' Association.
On September 29, 2015, the CHBA launched a Pilot of the Association's NZE Labeling Program -- continuing CHBA's long history in leading energy efficiency in residential construction. The goal of the program is to provide the industry with a clearly defined technical standard that will distinguish and recognize builders and renovators and their NZE homes.
Across Canada builders are advancing the development of new home construction to NZE making them more affordable than ever before. These NZE homes are not only better built, they also reduce utility bills and offer improved air quality and comfort. With third party certification for these NZE homes now available, buyers can benefit from peace of mind and security in their investment.
The five Net Zero Energy homes built by Reid's Heritage Homes in Guelph, Ontario, produce as much energy as they consume on an annual basis. They are air tight, well insulated, quiet homes that showcase an array of leading edge, off-the-shelf technology. These NZE homes are built at least 15 years ahead of where the building industry is today and include the many important features that define a home as "Net Zero Energy":
- Renewable Solar allows homeowners to produce energy and sell the surplus back to the grid
Provided by Bluewater Energy
- 45% More Insulation in walls, attic and basement resulting in a better insulated, comfortable and quiet home, combined with advanced ail sealing to drastically reduce air leakage
Provided by Owens Corning Canada
- Triple Pane Windows reduce outside noise, increase comfort and eliminate drafts
Provided by JELD-WEN Windows & Doors
- Right Sized Heating and Cooling System sized appropriately to meet the reduced demands of the home while providing optimal and consistent temperatures on each level
Provided by Mitsubishi Electric, Dettson Industries
- High Efficiency Appliances and LED Lighting that are energy efficient, durable, and long lasting
Appliances provided by Electrolux
- Drain Water Heat Recovery System to pre-heat incoming cold water using energy from warm used water
Provided by RenewABILITY Energy Inc.
- Hybrid Electric Heat Pump Water Heater uses energy from interior air to pre-warm water in the hot water delivery system
Provided by Rheem
- Water Conservation through the use of low flow faucets and toilets
Provided by Moen and American Standard
- Energy Recovery Ventilator - a fresh air ventilation system to act as the lungs of the home providing the necessary fresh air to these tightly sealed and insulated homes
Provided by VanEE
- AirRenew Low VOC Drywall for cleaner indoor air and a healthier living environment
Provided by CertainTeed
- Third Party Testing and Inspections to verify the home met program standards
Provided by CHBA NZE Qualified Service Organization, EnerQuality, and CHBA NZE Qualified Energy Advisor, Andy Oding
Through the use of high quality home fixtures and appliances designed and tested to save water and reduce utility bills, the builder has taken the NZE homes one step further and made four of the homes BlueBuilt Home certified. Two homes are at the Bronze level while another two are at the Gold level.
The five Reid's Heritage's NZE homes range in size from 1,691 to 1,775 square feet and feature 3 bedrooms and 2.5 bathrooms. One of the homes is already occupied while the remaining three will be occupied by end of summer. The last home, appropriately called the Net Zero Discovery Home, is not for sale and continues to remain open to the public for tours.
"Reid's Heritage Homes' commitment to building high performance homes is inspirational," says Rose Benedetto, Managing Director, EnerQuality. "All new homes in Westminster Woods are third party certified to meet rigorous performance standards, and we congratulate them on this incredible achievement."
Tours of the Net Zero Discovery Home can be booked online at LiveNetZero.com.
Connect with the builder on social media via Facebook, Twitter or YouTube.
About Reid's Heritage Homes
Reid's Heritage Homes has a long history of building energy-efficient homes. The home builder constructed Canada's first and second Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) platinum-level home in Canada (Guelph and Waterloo Region), was the first home builder in Canada to receive the ENERGY STAR ® participant of the year award, and built Ontario's first Built Green home. More recently, Reid's Heritage Homes was awarded Net Zero Builder of the Year for 2015 at the EnerQuality Awards in February 2016; and Builder of the Year at the Guelph Home Builders Awards of Distinction.
Image Available: http://www.marketwire.com/library/MwGo/2016/8/3/11G109164/Images/NZ_Front0_-_final-d37628246c409296b95f108f68c4c9e3.jpg
Image Available: http://www.marketwire.com/library/MwGo/2016/8/3/11G109164/Images/NZ_Rear_Solar4_editedMED_RGB-703975155464.jpg