Canada Revenue Agency

Canada Revenue Agency

April 27, 2012 14:58 ET

Reminder: Monday April 30 Is the Deadline to File Your Income Tax and Benefit Return

OTTAWA, ONTARIO--(Marketwire - April 27, 2012) - The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) encourages you to file your income tax and benefit return and pay on time and online using the CRA's quick, easy, and secure electronic services. You have until midnight on April 30, 2012, to file your 2011 income tax and benefit return and to pay any balance owing.

If you, your spouse, or common-law partner are self-employed, you have until midnight on June 15, 2012, to file your 2011 return. However, you still have to pay any balance owing by April 30, 2012.

The CRA invites you to join the growing number of Canadians who are filing electronically. NETFILE is one of the CRA's electronic tax-filing options. It allows you to file your individual income tax return over the Internet quickly and easily, which means a faster refund. For a list of software and Web service options, including those that are free of charge, go to

If you have a balance owing, you can make your payment using your financial institution's telephone or Internet banking service. For more information about online payments, go to or contact your financial institution. You can also make a payment using the CRA's My Payment service. My Payment lets you make one or more payments in one simple online transaction. You can use this service if you have access to online banking at a participating financial institution.

For tips that will help you get ready to file your 2011 tax return, go to

Are you worried you can't pay your full tax bill by April 30?

Even if you cannot pay all of your balance owing right away, you should still file your return by April 30 to avoid a late-filing penalty. If you can't pay the full amount of tax you owe, you may be able to make a payment arrangement. If the CRA agrees that you are not able to make a full payment, an agent can work with you to develop a plan to help you pay your taxes. For more information, go to or contact us at 1-888-863-8657. Our agents are available Monday to Friday (except holidays) from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m., Eastern time.

If you need help at tax time, the Tax Information Phone Service (TIPS) is an automated telephone service that provides personal and general tax information to individuals. You can call TIPS at 1-800-267-6999. The CRA is also offering extended evening and weekend hours on the individual income tax enquiries telephone lines until April 30, 2012. This service is available at 1-800-959-8281.

Stay connected

To receive updates when new information is added to our Web site, you can:

- Follow the CRA on Twitter - @CanRevAgency.

- Subscribe to a CRA electronic mailing list.

- Add our RSS feeds to your feed reader.

You can also visit our YouTube Channel for tax-related videos.

Contact Information

  • Noel Carisse
    Canada Revenue Agency
    Media Relations