Research In Motion
NASDAQ : RIMM
TSX : RIM
TSX : RCI
NYSE : RCI
January 31, 2008 08:01 ET
Rogers Wireless and RIM Launch the New GPS-enabled BlackBerry Pearl 8110 Smartphone
Small and stylish smartphone lets users shoot video, download music directly from Rogers MusicStore and stay on track with built-in GPS
TORONTO, ONTARIO and WATERLOO, ONTARIO--(Marketwire - Jan. 31, 2008) - Rogers Wireless (TSX:RCI)(NYSE:RCI) and Research In Motion (RIM) (NASDAQ:RIMM)(TSX:RIM) today introduced the new BlackBerry® Pearl™ 8110 smartphone. In addition to providing customers with the industry's leading mobile messaging solution, the BlackBerry Pearl 8110 is packed with multimedia features and now includes built-in Global Positioning System (GPS) with mapping software, making it an ideal smartphone for both consumers and business users, on Canada's most reliable wireless network.
The BlackBerry Pearl 8110 smartphone is small, stylish and incredibly versatile. It features RIM's popular SureType® keyboard system, which has been enhanced to include word completion and a spell checker. Alongside built-in GPS, exceptional mobile messaging and impressive multimedia capabilities, the BlackBerry Pearl 8110 also includes an enhanced visual interface.
"As the leading wireless carrier in Canada, Rogers is thrilled to offer the BlackBerry Pearl 8110," said John Boynton, Senior Vice President and Chief Marketing Officer, Rogers Wireless. "When we first launched the original BlackBerry Pearl in October 2006, it instantly became one of our most popular devices. We have a history of bringing best-in-class handsets as a Canadian first and the new BlackBerry Pearl 8110 is the perfect example with its enhanced functionality, sleek interface and brand new colour."
"Built-in GPS adds another powerful and practical dimension to the user experience," said Mark Guibert, Vice President, Corporate Marketing at Research In Motion. "The new BlackBerry Pearl 8110, with its stylish design and impressive communications, multimedia and navigation capabilities, is an exceptional smartphone for both business and personal use."
Available from Rogers Wireless in an attractive blue finish, the new BlackBerry Pearl 8110 smartphone features:
- An ultra-sleek design measuring 107mm x 50mm x 14mm and weighing 91 grams
- Built-in GPS with BlackBerry® Maps and support for TeleNav® GPS Navigator, which provides audible turn-by-turn directions
- A 2 megapixel camera with 5x digital zoom and built-in flash
- Video capture capability, allowing users to record video at up to 15 fps (frames per second)
- Premium phone features including enhanced noise cancellation to offset background noise, a low-distortion speakerphone, and Bluetooth® (2.0) support for hands-free use with headsets, car kits, stereo headsets and other Bluetooth peripherals
- SureType™ keyboard technology, now including word completion and spell checker
- An advanced media player, perfect for listening to music and watching videos; also allows playlists to be created directly on the handset
- A 3.5mm stereo headphone jack, support for the Bluetooth stereo audio profile (A2DP/AVRCP), and dedicated volume controls
- An externally accessible microSD/SDHC expandable memory slot for additional storage (8GB microSD/SDHC cards are now available on the market)
- Support for downloading music directly to the smartphone through Rogers MusicStore
- Instant Messaging with BlackBerry® Messenger, Google® Talk and Yahoo!® Messenger pre-loaded
- Easy access to the Facebook® for BlackBerry® Smartphones application, enabling fast, streamlined and optimized mobile access to the popular Facebook social utility
- Ability to download applications such as Spinvox (convert voice messages to text) and Yahoo! Go (access sports, weather, entertainment news and upload and view pictures on Flickr)
- Easy access to Texas Hold'em, the first subscription-based community game for BlackBerry users
- An enhanced visual interface; emails, calendar entries, and web pages are even more visually appealing
- BlackBerry® Desktop Manager software, which includes Roxio® Media Manager for BlackBerry®, a powerful media manager application that allows users to easily search for media files on their computer, view and organize them, create MP3 music files from CDs, add audio tags and album art, create playlists and copy or convert pictures, music and videos for optimal playback
- Support for High Speed USB, allowing users to transfer music, videos, pictures and other files from their computer onto the handset at speeds of up to 10 MB/sec.
- BlackBerry® Internet Service support that allows access to up to 10 supported personal and corporate email accounts, including most popular ISP email accounts
- BlackBerry® Enterprise Server support for enterprise deployments, enabling advanced security and IT administration within IBM® Lotus® Domino®, Microsoft® Exchange and Novell® GroupWise® environments.
The BlackBerry Pearl 8110 from Rogers Wireless also comes with a variety of in-box accessories including stereo headset, travel charger and a 1GB microSD memory card for storing pictures, music and videos.
Pricing & Availability
The BlackBerry Pearl 8110 retails for $249.99 with activation on any combination of 3 year voice plan and 3 year BlackBerry data plan from Rogers. Some conditions apply.
For more information on the BlackBerry Pearl 8110 smartphone, please visit www.blackberrypearl.com or www.rogers.com/8110.
About Rogers Wireless
Rogers Wireless provides wireless voice and data communications services across Canada to more than 7 million customers under both the Rogers Wireless and Fido brands. Proven to operate Canada's most reliable wireless voice and data communications network, Rogers Wireless is Canada's largest wireless provider and the only carrier operating on the global standard GSM and highly advanced HSPA technology platforms. In addition to providing seamless roaming in more than 200 countries around the world with its GSM based services, Rogers Wireless also provides wireless broadband services across Canada utilizing its 2.5GHz fixed wireless spectrum. The company is a subsidiary of Rogers Communications Inc. (TSX:RCI)(NYSE:RCI), a diversified Canadian communications and media company. For further information, please visit www.rogers.com.
About Research In Motion (RIM)
Research In Motion is a leading designer, manufacturer and marketer of innovative wireless solutions for the worldwide mobile communications market. Through the development of integrated hardware, software and services that support multiple wireless network standards, RIM provides platforms and solutions for seamless access to time-sensitive information including email, phone, SMS messaging, Internet and intranet-based applications. RIM technology also enables a broad array of third party developers and manufacturers to enhance their products and services with wireless connectivity to data. RIM's portfolio of award-winning products, services and embedded technologies are used by thousands of organizations around the world and include the BlackBerry® wireless platform, the RIM Wireless Handheld™ product line, software development tools, radio-modems and software/hardware licensing agreements. Founded in 1984 and based in Waterloo, Ontario, RIM operates offices in North America, Europe and Asia Pacific. RIM is listed on the Nasdaq Stock Market (NASDAQ:RIMM) and the Toronto Stock Exchange (TSX:RIM). For more information, visit www.rim.com or www.blackberry.com.
Forward-looking statements in this news release are made pursuant to the "safe harbor" provisions of the United States Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. When used herein, words such as "intend" and similar expressions are intended to identify forward-looking statements. Forward-looking statements are based on assumptions made by and information available to Research In Motion Limited. Investors are cautioned that such forward-looking statements involve risks and uncertainties. Important factors that could cause actual results to differ materially from those expressed or implied by such forward-looking statements include, without limitation, possible product defects and product liability, risks related to international sales and potential foreign currency exchange fluctuations, the initiation or outcome of litigation, acts or potential acts of terrorism, international conflicts, significant fluctuations of quarterly operating results, changes in Canadian and foreign laws and regulations, continued acceptance of RIM's products, increased levels of competition, technological changes and the successful development of new products, dependence on third-party networks to provide services, dependence on intellectual property rights, and other risks and factors detailed from time to time in RIM's periodic reports filed with the United States Securities and Exchange Commission, and other regulatory authorities. RIM has no intention or obligation to update or revise any forward-looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.
The BlackBerry and RIM families of related marks, images and symbols are the exclusive properties and trademarks of Research In Motion Limited. RIM, Research In Motion and BlackBerry are registered with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and may be pending or registered in other countries. Wi-Fi is a registered trademark of the Wi-Fi Alliance. All other brands, product names, company names, trademarks and service marks are the properties of their respective owners. RIM assumes no liability and makes no representation, warranty or guarantee in relation to third party products or services.