CHICAGO, IL--(Marketwire - Jun 6, 2012) - The Center for Cancer Care at Saint Joseph Hospital in Chicago recently received three-year accreditation with commendation from the Commission on Cancer (CoC) of the American College of Surgeons (ACoS).
Facilities undergo a rigorous evaluation by a physician surveyor who reviews the full scope of the program -- including cancer committee leadership, data management, clinical services, research, community outreach and quality improvement. Accreditation is given to only those facilities that voluntarily commit to providing the highest level of quality cancer care. To maintain accreditation, cancer programs must undergo an on-site review every three years.
There are more than 1,500 CoC-accredited cancer programs in the United States and Puerto Rico -- representing nearly 30 percent of all hospitals. Staff at these 30 percent of CoC-accredited hospitals diagnose and/or treat about 80 percent of all newly diagnosed cancer patients each year.
"This accomplishment is a marker of quality cancer care -- ensuring patients are coming to the right place for treatment," said Mark Connolly, M.D., medical director, The Center for Cancer Care, and chairman, Department of Surgery, Saint Joseph Hospital. "We provide personalized care at the level of an academic medical center -- plus, it's close to home. Patients and their families will receive outstanding care throughout their healthcare journey."
For patients, receiving care at a CoC-accredited cancer program ensures they have access to:
- Comprehensive care, including a wide range of state-of-the art services and equipment
- A multispecialty team approach to coordinate the best treatment options
- Information about ongoing clinical trials and new treatment options
- Cancer-related information, education and support
- A cancer registry that collects data on type and stage of cancers and treatment results and offers lifelong patient follow-up
- Ongoing monitoring and improvement of care
- Quality care close to home
Saint Joseph Hospital also has the following distinctions:
- National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers (NAPBC) - First breast center in the city of Chicago to be accredited by the NAPBC, a program managed by the American College of Surgeons.
- Breast Imaging Center of Excellence (BICOE) - Earned this designation from the American College of Radiology.
Established in 1922 by the ACoS, the CoC is a consortium of professional organizations dedicated to improving survival rates and quality of life for cancer patients.
About Saint Joseph Hospital
Saint Joseph Hospital is a nationally ranked, award-winning teaching hospital.