Swinton

Swinton

November 29, 2010 05:51 ET

Save Free Motorcycle Parking, Says Swinton Bikes

MANCHESTER, UNITED KINGDOM --(Marketwire - Nov. 29, 2010) - Forget the student riots that have been staged the past few weeks, motorcycle campaigners are calling upon their fellow bikers to help save free bike parking by joining a demonstration ride around London on December 5th.

Swinton Bike Insurance is informing motorcyclists nationwide, that free motorcycle parking bays up and down the country will soon charge what is known as a Bike Parking Tax, as No to the Bike Parking Tax was defeated by Westminster City Council in High Court and unless a legal challenge succeeds, the law could be passed in councils across the country.

A survey of 1200 customers, completed by the Swinton Bike Insurance, found that 92% of motorcyclists are against the tax, with the remaining 8% for it, as it will contribute to the economy and help local roads.

Swinton Bike Insurance is urging local councils that are thinking of enforcing the tax to think carefully as, motorcycling creates less emissions and causes minimal damage to roads as well as easing congestion and it would be unfair to charge motorcyclists for charging as bikes take up minimal space in car parks and should not have to pay for the privilege when they save the government money.

Anthony Aronin, head of Swinton Bikes, said, "Any motorcyclists who are thinking of riding down to the demonstration, make sure you take care as mass demonstrations can be dangerous, especially on motorbikes."

He added, "The end of free motorcycle parking bays will put the cost of riding a bike up, it's important to know that by searching for the best tailored insurance policy, motorcyclists can save money."

Notes to editors

About Swinton

  • With 603 branches nationwide Swinton is the UK's largest high street insurance retailer
  • Unlike many other companies in the financial services industry, Swinton is committed to keeping its branches open for business, and part of the community
  • Swinton provides a one-stop-shop for the insurance and related needs of its clients, offering home, car, caravan, business, holiday, motorbike and even classic car insurance
  • With a dedicated team on hand at every branch to search a panel of insurers to offer quality cover at competitive rates

Contact Information