HAMILTON, BERMUDA--(Marketwired - Aug 28, 2013) - Highlights
* Seadrill reports its best operating results and net income ever and
generated second quarter 2013 EBITDA*()) of US$665 million
* Seadrill reports second quarter 2013 net income of US$1,750 million and
earnings per share of US$3.68
* Seadrill increases the ordinary quarterly cash dividend by 3 cents to
* Economic utilization for floaters increased to 94% in Q2 2013 from 92%
* Economic utilization for the jack-up fleet in Q2 2013 was 98%, down
99% in Q1 2013
* Seadrill secured a three-year contract for the newbuild drillship West
Neptune with a total estimated revenue potential of US$662 million
* Seadrill realized a gain of US$1,256 million from the sale of the
division to SapuraKencana Petroleum for a total consideration of US$2.9
* Seadrill completed the sale of the tender rig T-15 to Seadrill Partners
(SDLP) for a total consideration of US$210 million
* Seadrill ordered two jack-ups for a total estimated project price of
million per rig, with deliveries in 4Q 2015 and 1Q 2016
* Seadrill and SapuraKencana joint project secured an eight year contract
three Pipe Laying Support Vessels with a total estimated revenue
of US$2.7 billion
* North Atlantic Drilling completes sale and leaseback transaction for
newbuild harsh environment jack-up West Linus for US$600 million
* Seadrill appoints Per Wullf as CEO to take over from Fredrik Halvorsen
* Seadrill orders four ultra-deepwater drillships for an estimated
price below US$600 million per rig, with deliveries scheduled for the
half of 2015
* Seadrill orders two jack-ups for an estimated project price of US$230
million per rig, with deliveries in the second and third quarters of
* Seadrill reaches 50.1% ownership in Sevan Drilling and launches
offer for all outstanding shares which closed on August 22, 2013
* Seadrill secures a 180 day contract for the newbuild ultra-deepwater
drillship West Tellus with a total estimated revenue potential of
* Seadrill secures a 2.5 year contract for the jack-up rig West Freedom
total estimated revenue potential of US$222 million
* Seadrill secures a one year contract extension with Talisman in
the jack-up rig West Vigilant at US$167,000 per day
* North Atlantic Drilling is awarded an extension of the current drilling
contract, in addition to a new drilling contract for West Navigator,
securing employment to December 2014 with a total estimated revenue
potential of US$98 million
Consolidated financial information
Second quarter 2013 results
Consolidated revenues for the second quarter of 2013 were US$1,268 million
compared to US$1,265 million in the first quarter of 2013. The increase
despite the sale of the tender rig business, which operated for only 30
the quarter, resulting in a US$100 million revenue decline from 1Q 2013.
Overall improvement in fleet performance more than offset this revenue
Operating profit for the quarter was US$507 million compared to US$552
in the preceding quarter. The decrease is driven by gain on sale of the
Janus in the first quarter, offset by lower operating and SG&A expenses
the second quarter.
Net financial and other items for the quarter showed a gain of US$1,292
compared to a loss of US$68 million in the previous quarter. The gain is
primarily related to the sale of the tender rig business and positive
from interest rate swap movements.
Income taxes for the second quarter were US$49 million, an increase of US$5
million from the previous quarter.
Net income for the quarter was US$1,750 million representing basic and
earnings per share of US$3.68 and US$3.53, respectively.
As of June 30, 2013, total assets were US$21,801 million, an increase of
million compared to March 31, 2013.
Total current assets increased to US$2,978 million from US$2,350 million
the course of the quarter, primarily driven by an increase in marketable
securities and other current assets, offset by a decrease in amounts due
related party and the sale of the tender rig business.
non-current assets increased to US$18,823 million from US$18,856 million
primarily due to yard payments on the West Auriga, West Vela,
T-16, and West Mira, offset by the sale of the tender rig business.
Total current liabilities decreased to US$4,397 million from US$4,782
largely due to decreases in short term debt to related party and
associated with sale the tender rig business, offset by an increase in the
current portion of long-term debt.
Long-term interest bearing debt increased to US$8,521 million from US$7,883
million over the course of the quarter and total net interest bearing debt
decreased to US$11,186 million from US$11,674 million. The decrease is
primarily due to repayments of related party debt.
Total equity increased to US$7,840 million from US$6,530 million as of June
30, 2013. The increase is primarily driven by net income for the quarter,
by dividends paid.
As of June 30, 2013, cash and cash equivalents were US$437 million, an
of US$109 million compared to the previous quarter.
Net cash from operating activities for the six month period ended June 30,
was US$671 million and net cash used in investing activities for the same
was US$444 million. Net cash used in financing activities was US$108
This information is subject of the disclosure requirements pursuant to
5-12 of the Norwegian Securities Trading Act.
Fleet Status 2Q:
Seadrill 2Q 2013:
This announcement is distributed by Thomson Reuters on behalf of
Thomson Reuters clients. The owner of this announcement warrants that:
(i) the releases contained herein are protected by copyright and
other applicable laws; and
(ii) they are solely responsible for the content, accuracy and
originality of the information contained therein.
Source: Seadrill Limited via Thomson Reuters ONE