ALLEN PARK, MI--(Marketwired - Jul 18, 2016) - When you're caring for seniors, summer travel and family gatherings don't have to be put on hold. Marcia Filek, geriatric care manager of Senior Care Solutions, advises caregivers how they and their loved ones can have an enjoyable experience.
"With a little extra planning, attending a special event or taking a summer vacation can be fun for everyone," said Filek.
To ensure your loved one has a healthy and safe time, consider these helpful tips:
- Medications: Have a complete list and schedule of needed medicines, including those taken on an "as needed" basis; ensure proper storage and refrigeration if required.
- Food and drink: Help maintain proper nutrition with favorite foods and snacks for the trip along with plenty of fluids for warmer weather.
- Clothing: Pack comfortable and loose fitting clothes that can be easily laundered if needed, as well as sweaters, jackets and comfortable shoes. For those with memory issues, keep some form of ID with them.
- Mobility: To prevent stiffness and possible blood clots, consider frequent stops if driving, and encourage them to wiggle their feet and legs if traveling by air or car; take along adaptive equipment such as walkers, wheelchairs, and others as needed.
- Activities: Take along activities your loved one enjoys including books, cards, music, and other favorites.
- Relaxation: Help them maintain a regular routine that includes rest or quiet time.
- Children & Pets: Family gatherings often include children & pets. Be mindful as they can be a tripping hazard for your aging loved one, but encourage them to engage as much as comfortable for them as it can be very rewarding for all involved.
Senior Care Solutions also helps caregivers with seniors who are unable or not willing to travel.
"We are able to provide at home care up to 24 hours a day for short- and long-term stays," said Filek. "While caregivers are traveling, we can also provide recommendations for temporary respite care for their loved ones, available in conveniently located senior living communities. No matter what the choice, vacation and relaxation time is important for everyone -- caregivers and loved ones."
Senior Care Solutions (SCS), affiliated with Beaumont Health, offers geriatric care assessments and case management services along with in home, non-medical and personal care services for seniors and post trauma patients. Located in Allen Park, Mich., SCS provides services throughout the five county areas of Macomb, Monroe, Oakland, Washtenaw and Wayne. Personal care services are also available within a 30 mile radius of Detroit. For more information, call 866-776-1869 or visit www.OakwoodSeniorSolutions.org.