SHERBROOKE, QUEBEC--(Marketwired - Aug. 9, 2016) - Department of Canadian Heritage
The Honourable Marie-Claude Bibeau, Minister of International Development and La Francophonie and MP for Compton-Stanstead, today announced on behalf of the Honourable Mélanie Joly, Minister of Canadian Heritage, a contribution of $91,700 for the 19th Festival des traditions du monde de Sherbrooke which will be presented from August 10 to 14, 2016.
The funding was awarded by the Government of Canada through the Local Festivals component of the Building Communities Through Arts and Heritage program. This funding will contribute in particular to enriching the festival's artistic programming to give the public an opportunity to discover various cultures from around the world.
- The 2016 edition of the Festival des traditions du monde de Sherbrooke will take place over five days at Quintal Park in Sherbrooke.
- The programming, which will feature more than 600 artists, consists of more than 200 shows and activities, including concerts, street entertainment as well as artistic and historical presentations on different cultures.
- Approximately 80,000 festivalgoers participate in the event every year.
"The Government of Canada supports initiatives that highlight the traditions and heritage of various cultural communities. The Festival des traditions du monde encourages exchange and sharing among Canadians of all origins in addition to serving as a perfect showcase for artists from different backgrounds."
- The Honourable Mélanie Joly, Minister of Canadian Heritage
"By inviting the public to discover a variety of cultures in a highly festive atmosphere, the organizers of the Festival des traditions du monde are promoting openness and respect for diversity and are contributing to the vibrancy of the region."
- The Honourable Marie-Claude Bibeau, Minister for International Development and La Francophonie and MP for Compton-Stanstead
"The Government of Canada's support is essential to the development of the Festival des traditions du monde de Sherbrooke, which gives the public an opportunity to discover and enjoy new cultural experiences year after year. This contribution also helps to make this intercultural gathering accessible to the general public."
- Ms. Malika Bajjaje, Executive Director of the Festival des traditions du monde
Festival des traditions du monde de Sherbrooke
Building Communities Through Arts and Heritage - Overview
Follow us on Twitter, YouTube, Facebook, Instagram and Flickr.