Leger Marketing

Leger Marketing

February 22, 2005 09:00 ET

Silent Killer Lurks in Canadian Homes

Attention: Assignment Editor, Health/Medical Editor, News Editor, Government/Political Affairs Editor TORONTO, ONTARIO--(CCNMatthews - Feb. 22, 2005) - February 22, 2005 - More than half of Canadians do not perceive carbon monoxide poisoning to be a serious risk despite it being the number one cause of accidental death in North America finds a January 2005 National OmniCan study commissioned by Kidde®.

Carbon monoxide (CO) is an odourless, colourless and tasteless gas and is one of the least understood dangers around the home. Per the study results, young people aged 18 - 24, are the least aware of the causes of CO poisoning (24 per cent), and alarmingly, 16 per cent of the total 1,501 Canadians surveyed could not name a single risk factor.

One-half of people surveyed knew that CO poisoning can be attributed to fuel-burning household appliances such as furnaces, while 36 per cent consider CO only as a by-product of vehicles. The common sources of CO around the home are fuel-burning appliances such as furnaces, water heaters, ovens and clothes dryers as well as wood or gas fire places and attached garages.

"Carbon monoxide is a potential threat in the majority of Canadian homes. It is especially important that homes have at least one CO alarm in winter when there is an increased use of furnaces and many people spend more time in their homes" says Carol Heller, Vice President, Residential Products for Kidde.

Quebec was the only region in Canada where the majority of respondents perceived CO poisoning to be a serious risk (60 per cent), Ontario residents placed second at 40 per cent versus only 28 per cent in the Prairies and 23 per cent in the Maritimes.

This information was compiled as part of a Leger Marketing National Omnican study on January 17, 2005 in which 1,501 adult Canadians were surveyed across the country. With a sample of this size, the results are considered accurate to within (+/-) 2.5 percentage points, 19 times out of 20.

- 30 -

About Kidde:
Kidde is the world's largest manufacturer of fire safety products. For more than 80 years industry leaders, the military, airlines and firefighters have relied on Kidde products. Homeowners find the same proven technology in Kidde's safety products.

For more information, or to speak with a Kidde representative please contact: Forest Kenney at Harbinger Communications (416) 960-5100 ext. 286

For information on carbon monoxide alarms and fire safety equipment visit www.kidde.ca

For more information on carbon monoxide and fire safety, visit www.safeathometips.com
IN: ENERGY, HEALTH, RETAIL, TECHNOLOGY, OTHER

Contact Information