SOURCE: SiTime Corporation
March 16, 2011 15:41 ET
SiTime Launches the Industry's Lowest Power Oscillator for High Frequency Applications
Power Reduction of 66% and Programmable Features Are Ideal for Networking, Video, Computing and Storage Applications
SUNNYVALE, CA--(Marketwire - March 16, 2011) - SiTime Corporation, the leader in MEMS-based silicon timing solutions, today introduced the SiT8004, the industry's lowest power high frequency oscillator. The SiT8004 reduces oscillator power consumption by up to 66% and is ideally suited for high performance networking, video, computing and storage applications.
"Reducing energy usage is a key goal of electronics manufacturers," said Piyush Sevalia, vice president of marketing for SiTime. "Typically, quartz oscillator suppliers do not have analog circuit expertise as they buy their oscillator die from semiconductor providers. Therefore, they have not been able to deliver low power devices for high frequency applications. SiTime uniquely has both resonator and analog circuit expertise, enabling us to integrate and deliver compelling features to our customers. The SiT8004 is an excellent example of this expertise: not only does it reduce oscillator power consumption by up to 66%, but it is also a drop-in replacement for quartz oscillators, which allows system vendors to reduce energy usage with zero design effort."
The SiT8004 MEMS-based programmable oscillator features 6.7mA of typical current consumption at 125MHz, which is up to 66% lower than that of a standard crystal oscillator. In addition to supporting any frequency between 125 MHz and 150 MHz, it is also available in popular, pre-configured options such as:
- 125 MHz and 125.00375 MHz for GPON, EPON and Gigabit Ethernet
- 133 MHz and 133.33333 MHz for MEMORY (DDR) and PCI
- 148.5 MHz and 148.35164 MHz for HDMI and Pixel clocks
- 150 MHz for SATA/SAS
Additionally, the SiT8004 offers the following key features:
- Ability to configure the device to any custom frequency with 5 decimal places of accuracy, and receive samples within 1 week. Custom frequencies such as 125.00375 MHz (instead of 125 MHz) are used for Gigabit Ethernet to improve Bit Error Rate (BER).
- Excellent frequency stability, as low as ±20PPM that can enhance overall system stability in cloud computing applications.
- 100% drop-in replacement of quartz solutions in all four industry-standard surface-mount packages (7.0x5.0 mm, 5.0x3.2 mm, 3.2x2.5 mm and 2.5x2.0 mm)
- Superior robustness with 500 million hours in mean-time-between-failure (MTBF) that is critical to high reliability, fail-safe systems in networking, communication and servers
- Extreme ruggedness that is just not available from quartz. The device exhibits shock resistance of up to 50,000 G and vibration resistance of up to 70 G.
The SiT8004 is available in high volume production today. The list price for 10,000 units of the 125MHz SiT8004 in a 2.5x2.0mm package, 25 PPM stability, industrial temperature range (-40 to +85 °C) is $0.98.
Please visit www.sitime.com for more information.
SiTime Corporation, an analog semiconductor company, offers MEMS-based silicon timing solutions that replace legacy quartz products. With 85% market share and over 35 million devices shipped, SiTime is driving the $5 Billion timing market's transition to 100% silicon-based timing.
SiTime's configurable solutions enable customers to differentiate their products with higher performance, reduced size and better reliability. The rich feature set and flexibility of our solutions allows customers to consolidate their supply-chain, reducing cost of ownership and time to market. By using standard semiconductor processes and high volume plastic packaging, SiTime offers the best availability and shortest lead times in the industry.
Top-tier manufacturers are experiencing these benefits and recognize SiTime as The Smart Timing Choice™.