TORONTO--(Marketwire - February 28, 2013) - While 2012 was a rocky year for investors with its substantial market fluctuations, 2013 may look rosier, according to social media conversations about Canadian mining on blogs, Twitter, social networks, wikis and online news sources between December 1 and 31, 2012. In its "Mining (Oil & Gas) Industry Intelligence Report," Marketwire identified and monitored general oil and gas mining topics, as well as more specific topics including research and development, environmental impact, and worker's safety using its MAP (Media Analysis Platform) and Heartbeat social media monitoring and analytics platforms, powered by Sysomos. Marketwire also followed conversations about three major energy companies: Suncor, Cenovus and Imperial Oil.
- People expressed optimism about western Canadian mining in the oil and gas sectors and expected them to lead national economic growth in 2013
- Among the three specific topics reviewed, research and development generated the highest number of mentions -- 42% of the share of voice -- but worker's safety generated the greatest volume of content from blog, forum and Twitter sources
- Geographically, Ontario was the dominant contributor of blog content for the three topics, followed by British Columbia
- Among the three industry leaders analyzed, Suncor generated the highest volume of overall content, amounting to 1,594 mentions, followed by Cenovus and Imperial Oil with 623 and 403 mentions, respectively
- Worker's Safety and Environmental Impact's highest peaks both occurred on December 5: Worker's Safety was driven by content about CAPP's Responsible Energy Report, while Caterpillar and Ariel Corporation's partnership increased mentions for Environment Impact
Download a free copy of the "Mining (Oil & Gas) Industry Intelligence Report."
Every day, Marketwire plays a critical role in shaping the conversations that happen in newsrooms, corporate boardrooms and social networks around the world, helping communicators move markets, change public opinion and affect consumer behavior.
For everyone from a start-up to a Fortune 500 enterprise, Marketwire is a social communications company that provides its clients with powerfully simple solutions: Global press release distribution and a fully integrated marketing communications platform for content creation, optimization, distribution and measurement. Powered by Sysomos, Marketwire also provides industry-leading social media monitoring and analytics. This critical business intelligence provides instant and unlimited access to all social media conversations, allowing brands to see what's happening, why it's happening, and who's driving the conversations.
Marketwire is majority-owned by OMERS Private Equity (www.omerspe.com), which manages the private equity activities of OMERS Administration Corporation and today has $6.4 billion of investments under management. OMERS Private Equity is headquartered in Toronto, Canada, with offices in New York and London.
Image Available: http://www.marketwire.com/library/MwGo/2013/2/27/11G003797/Images/SpikeAnalysis-625172494497.jpg
Image Available: http://www.marketwire.com/library/MwGo/2013/2/27/11G003797/Images/mw17kesnbch1dqnfgl1uji110m136h3-501158890372.jpg