AUSTIN, TX--(Marketwire - Jun 8, 2011) - The adoption of server virtualization has introduced growth and challenges at a faster pace than any technology IT has seen in recent history. Due to its efficiency and cost benefits, the mid-market is rapidly embracing virtualization as a first step towards cloud computing. The evolution touches all IT professionals in some capacity, creating new complexity and requiring better visibility. As a result, businesses are asking -- How do we optimize virtualization in our environments?
SolarWinds® Inc. (NYSE: SWI), a leading provider of powerful and affordable IT management software, today announced its new SolarWinds Virtualization Manager (formerly Hyper9) and SolarWinds Storage Manager, Powered by Profiler. Both products are designed to help the IT community conquer virtualization complexity as environments scale and mature, including managing the server virtualization layer and optimizing storage performance and capacity for virtualization.
Cloud Speed, Cloud Scale for Every Company Size, Budget
With the rapid adoption of virtualization and cloud technologies, IT organizations of every size are facing new IT management and operations challenges related to the higher rate of change and increased scale of these new environments.
- As businesses of all sizes virtually scale their environments laying the foundation for a cloud strategy, each will progress through three phases of virtualization maturity:
- Assuring Availability - This first phase represents the majority of organizations that have virtualized up to 30 percent of their environment. At this stage, users need help identifying -- How many VMs do I have? What VMs are using which physical storage resources?
- Optimizing Performance - Phase two is commonly comprised of a more experienced set of virtualization admins who have virtualized up to 70 percent of their environment. Businesses working through this phase are asking -- What if I add more hosts or VMs? When will I run out of physical storage?
- Transforming the Environment - The third phase includes businesses who are 80+ percent virtual and have a solid foundation to implement and manage a cloud strategy. This phase of users need help answering -- What departments are using what resources? Am I ready for chargeback?
- SolarWinds recognizes the unique virtualization challenges each organization will face as their environments mature through the phases and is responding by extending the depth of its virtualization and storage management solution offering.
- Virtualization Manager and Storage Manager are complementary, comprehensive solutions that provide users the option to zero in on the shared resources of compute and/or storage at the virtualization layer.
- The solutions are easy to use, powerful and can scale as the virtualization landscape continues to evolve.
"In a recent SolarWinds customer poll, 71 percent of respondents answered that performance and availability monitoring were their main concerns for virtualization. Based on our customer's feedback coupled with virtualization's adoption momentum and its now well-known challenges, we believe that the market is ready for a SolarWinds management offering that's affordable, easy to use and enables customers to build and manage a cloud strategy," said Kevin Thompson, President and CEO, SolarWinds.
"Managing shared resources in virtualized and cloud environments -- from storage to memory to CPU -- can be a bit like managing in the dark," said Suku Krishnaraj, Senior Vice President of Product Strategy, SolarWinds. "Virtualization Manager and Storage Manager provide users with an easy to use, cost-effective approach that understands the complexity and dynamics of the underlying relationships and dependencies needed for both large and small environments."
SolarWinds Virtualization Manager (formerly Hyper9)
- Virtualization has created new problems for IT practitioners -- objects to manage, scale, speed, requiring a new approach at managing performance and gaining visibility.
- Virtualization Manager is an enterprise-class, next-generation virtualization management solution that provides unified capacity, performance, configuration and chargeback management for the virtualized infrastructure.
- With the new solution, IT organizations are able to assure virtualization health, optimize capacity and performance across the virtual enterprise, and govern and chargeback IT, infrastructure, and cloud services -- enabling IT to transform itself into a service provider.
- New feature highlights include best-practice problem resolution recommendations and Time-Travel, a breakthrough capability, which not only tracks historical performance and capacity but also models and maps historical relationships and dependencies enabling new levels of virtualization troubleshooting and forensics.
- SolarWinds Virtualization Manager pricing starts at $2,995 (USD), with the first year of maintenance included. For more information, visit the SolarWinds website, download a free 30-day evaluation, or call 866.530.8100.
SolarWinds Storage Manager, Powered by Profiler
- Virtualization has dramatically changed how IT practitioners manage their environments, most significantly, how they manage storage.
- Storage Manager gives users unmatched visibility into shared storage that is not available through other vendor solutions.
- Users who are rapidly deploying virtualization and are now dealing with the operational challenges associated with virtualization's impact on the storage infrastructure; gain perspective not just through the perspective of the hypervisor, but into the individual arrays all the way to the disks.
- New feature highlights include integrated virtualization visibility and mapping, SolarWinds Orion integration, plus new EMC VNX and IBM v7000 array support.
- SolarWinds Storage Manager pricing starts at $2,995 (USD), with the first year of maintenance included. For more information, visit the SolarWinds website, download a free 30-day evaluation, or call 866.530.8100.
With the addition of Virtualization Manager and Storage Manager combined with SolarWinds' Orion Network Performance Monitor (NPM) and SolarWinds Application Performance Monitor (APM), users are able to achieve a powerful, end-to-end data center management solution across physical and virtual and the network, systems, applications and storage for companies of all sizes.
SolarWinds (NYSE: SWI) provides powerful and affordable IT management software to customers worldwide -- from Fortune 500 enterprises to small businesses. We work to put our users first and remove the obstacles that have become "status quo" in traditional enterprise software. SolarWinds products are downloadable, easy to use and maintain, and provide the power, scale, and flexibility needed to address users' management priorities. Our online user community, thwack, is a gathering-place where tens of thousands of IT pros solve problems, share technology, and participate in product development for all of SolarWinds' products. Learn more today at http://www.solarwinds.com.
SolarWinds, SolarWinds.com, and Orion are registered trademarks of SolarWinds. All other company and product names mentioned are used only for identification purposes and may be trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective companies.