SOURCE: Cathedral of St. Mary of the Assumption
SAN FRANCISCO, CA--(Marketwire - Sep 25, 2012) - The Cathedral of St. Mary of the Assumption will host its Sixth Annual Cathedral Festival of Flowers on Oct. 6 to Oct. 7. The free event, touted as the Cathedral's Gift to the City, includes an opening night gala, unique floral elements from 30 renowned, Bay Area floral designers, and other distinctive exhibits by the artists.
For more than four decades, flowers have been used to decorate and augment the beauty of the 19-story-high architectural masterpiece atop Cathedral Hill in San Francisco. The Cathedral Festival of Flowers will feature:
- An opening-night gala on Friday, Oct. 5 from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. ($50 per person);
- Special floral arrangements designed to honor the 25th anniversary of Pope John Paul II's visit to the Cathedral in September 1987;
- The Cathedral Treasures exhibit highlighting an intricate Parisian gold chalice from 1883, a custom-made vestment worn by Pope John Paul II, and other distinctive artifacts from the papal visit;
- The Little Flower Festival exhibit spotlighting floral arrangements created by Bay Area liturgical art and environment ministers;
- A gospel/jazz mass on Saturday, Oct. 6 featuring the Bay Area Gospel/Jazz Choir and Ensemble with Gabriel Angelo, a child prodigy trumpet player, Dave Scott, renowned jazz trumpeter, and Howard Wiley, jazz composer and saxophonist extraordinaire;
- And a special festival choral concert on Sunday, Oct. 7 at 4 p.m.
"The Cathedral Festival of Flowers is the Cathedral's Gift to the City," said Monsignor John Talesfore, Cathedral pastor. "Not only is the Cathedral a place of worship, but it allows visitors from around the world to congregate and reflect on its architecture, history, and spiritual traditions. The Cathedral Festival of Flowers embodies these key elements."
To view a complete schedule and times, visit http://cathedralflowers.org/ or call 415.567.2020. St. Mary's Cathedral is located at 1111 Gough St., San Francisco.
About The Cathedral of St. Mary of the Assumption
The Cathedral of St. Mary of the Assumption, also known locally as St. Mary's Cathedral, is the principal church of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of San Francisco in San Francisco. For more information about St. Mary's Cathedral, visit http://www.stmarycathedralsf.org/.