SOURCE: Global Advances in Health and Medicine LLC

September 01, 2015 07:30 ET

Study Announces Positive Results of Massive Open Online Course on Chronic Pain

Publication of Study in the September 2015 Issue of Global Advances in Health and Medicine Coincides With Pain Awareness Month

BOSTON, MA--(Marketwired - September 01, 2015) - Chronic pain conditions are the number-one reason patients seek care, the most common cause of disability and addiction, and the greatest contributor to healthcare costs. Recognizing a deficit in efforts to address chronic pain, researchers at the University of Minnesota and colleagues developed a massive open online course (MOOC) entitled "Preventing Chronic Pain: A Human Systems Approach."

The free, open course was offered through the online platform Coursera in spring 2014 and had 23,650 participants, 53% of whom were patients or consumers interested in pain. The other 47% of participants were health professionals. The article about the course, published in the September 2015 issue of Global Advances in Health and Medicine, details the course concepts in preventing chronic pain, the analytic data from participants, and post-course evaluation forms.

The study reports that feedback on the course was overwhelmingly positive; in particular, of the participants with pain, 93% reported that the course changed their lives. One of the participants said, "This course is one of the most generous offerings that I have ever encountered. There is so much life-changing, life-affirming information available to anyone who wants it... I am VERY grateful for it."

Additionally, 85% of health-provider participants said they believed that the course changed how they will care for their patients.

"The results of this course clearly demonstrate that most patients with pain conditions believe self-management training is an essential component of care and would like for it to be integrated into every treatment plan," said James Fricton, DDS, MS, Course Director and one of the study's authors. "The purpose of the course is to help health professionals understand how to do this."

For details about this study, access to other articles from the September issue, and an audio overview of the issue by co­-Editor-in-Chief Mary Jo Kreitzer, PhD, RN, FAAN, visit www.gahmj.com.

About Global Advances in Health and Medicine
Global Advances in Health and Medicine (GAHMJ) is a global multimedia communication forum that combines original research with breakthrough thinking and analysis of policy initiatives to catalyze global conversations, collaboration, and the building of communities to advance whole-person and whole-systems approaches to care and healing. GAHMJ's platform includes an online and printed peer-reviewed, indexed, medical journal published 6 times per year with abstracts in three languages and an interactive website that reaches readers in more than 40 countries.

Image Available: http://www.marketwire.com/library/MwGo/2015/9/1/11G052546/Images/Photo_for_Sept_press_release-1191015502710.gif

Contact Information