Sudbury and District Labour Council

Ontario Federation of Labour

Ontario Federation of Labour

October 20, 2010 11:44 ET

Sudbury and District Labour Council & OFL: Labour Movement Offers Help to Resolve Sudbury Women's Centre Crisis

TORONTO, ONTARIO--(Marketwire - Oct. 20, 2010) - The Sudbury and District Labour Council and Ontario Federation of Labour are offering their assistance to help end the Sudbury Women's Centre crisis.

The labour organizations had hoped to see the reinstatement of long-serving staff members Rose Menard and Barb Garon and a resumption of full services, however the situation appears to be worsening.

"The treatment of Rose and Barb is disturbing," says Sudbury and District Labour Council President John Closs. "The Labour Council's commitment to dignity and respect for all workers is long-standing and so is our support for all women's centres, programs and services. We are therefore extremely disappointed to see this go on for so long."

The Labour Council and OFL have a long history in resolving disputes and are concerned with the advice and direction being provided to the women's centre; specifically, the initial advice to lock the doors and issue lay-off notices effective immediately only served to escalate problems at the centre to a full-blown crisis.

"We can't change what has happened so far but we can help to achieve a better outcome," says Closs.

In a letter sent yesterday to the women's centre board, OFL President Sid Ryan expressed his disappointment with the board's conduct and offered to speak directly with the Ontario Trillium Foundation CEO, other funders and government ministers to bring the crisis to an end.

www.ofl.ca

Contact Information

  • Sudbury & District Labour Council
    John Closs
    President
    705-929-1496 (cell)