SAN JOSE, CA--(Marketwired - Sep 21, 2016) - New research by tech21, the leader in impact protection for mobile devices, has revealed who Americans trust with their mobile phones.
In a survey of over 2,000 adults, tech21 found that Hillary Clinton (25 percent) was the most trusted celebrity to handle consumers' phones without a case, ahead of Taylor Swift (21 percent) and Donald Trump (20 percent). In turn, the Kardashians were the least trusted, with only 4 percent willing to entrust their naked phones to the queen bees of selfies.
The survey also suggests women are to be trusted more than their male counterparts. Of those surveyed, men (51 percent) broke their phones more often than women (40 percent), for a variety of reasons. Twenty-six percent of men broke their phones under the influence of alcohol, while 22 percent broke their phones by throwing them. Location also plays a key role in a cell phone's safety with 26 percent of phone accidents occurring on vacation, and 23 percent of accidents happening at the pool and on the beach.
Additionally, men are more likely to be sloppy drunks than women. Seventeen percent of men have spilled alcohol on their phones, versus only 11 percent for women. The argument can be made that girlfriends are more trustworthy, with male friends more than twice as likely to break a friend's phone (26 percent) than female friends (11 percent).
When it comes to family, grandparents are the most careful with their phones. Sixty-five percent of seniors have never damaged their phones, and are nearly twice as likely (40 percent) than any other age group to forego a phone case -- yet family members perceive them as the least trustworthy, with only 2 percent of family willing to entrust their devices to seniors.
Even though seniors arguably use the restroom more, only 10 percent of those surveyed worry about breaking their phone while taking care of business -- as compared to the 38 percent of millennials who suffer from toilet-dropping phone anxiety. More than 1 in 4 millennials have dropped their phones in the toilet, whereas only 1 in 20 of seniors have.
In the wake of the Apple iPhone 7 and 7 Plus launch, tech21's research brings to light the nation's obsession with their most prized possession -- their smartphone -- and the many reasons to protect their phones at all costs.
As reflected in its latest collection of iPhone 7 cases and iPhone 7 Plus cases, tech21 continues to push the boundaries of impact protection by introducing an all-new 3-layer drop protection technology featuring the scientifically proven material, FlexShock™ -- an ultra-efficient impact absorbing material designed to dissipate impact force, preventing it from passing directly through to the device. The revolutionary new design increases drop protection on some of the slimmest and best-selling lines by 50 percent, now enabling them to withstand drops of up to 9.9 feet.
With this new range, tech21 has worked tirelessly to improve, re-design and refine every product to ensure it continues to offer market-leading impact protection that does not compromise phone performance. Each of these case collections has been rigorously tested to ensure perfect compatibility with Apple iPhone 7 and 7 Plus, guaranteeing a perfect fit, no loss in signal quality and no interference to Wi-Fi, mobile networks, Bluetooth syncing or features such as Apple Pay. Core functionality such as the camera, acoustics and sensors (such as Touch ID) will work the same with the case on or off.
"As this research shows, mobile phones are an essential part of our daily lives -- but accidents are hardly few and far between," said Colin Woodward, Global Marketing Director of tech21. "When you choose to protect your new phone with a tech21 case, we know you are trusting us with your most valuable possession. Our mission is to ensure your phone has the best possible protection to keep it safe from everything life can throw at it -- giving you absolute peace of mind."
Notes to editors:
Interview opportunities available on request, with high-res images available for download below.
The new range of iPhone cases and screen shields includes:
- Evo Mesh and Evo Check - More protection. More personality. FlexShock™ and an all-new 3-layer impact absorption system means the advanced drop protection of Evo Mesh & Evo Check have increased by 50 percent, now with a 9.9 feet drop limit. Designs include a unique mesh or checkered pattern in a range of vibrant colors. Availability: Target, Best Buy, Verizon, T-Mobile, and Sprint. Also available at tech21.com.
- Evo Gem - Protection in dazzling color. Available in a range of dazzling colors and featuring a stunning geometric design, Evo Gem protects in style. Thanks to FlexShock™ and an all-new 3-layer impact absorption system, Evo Gem offers 9.9 feet drop protection. Availability: Evo Gem will be exclusively sold at Apple retail stores nationwide and online at apple.com. Also available at tech21.com.
- Evo Tactical - Durable protection. Refined. Designed to endure the busy day ahead while complementing your smartphone's premium and refined design. Evo Tactical's drop protection has increased by 50 percent thanks to FlexShock™ and an all-new 3-layer impact absorption system that now offers 9.9 feet drop protection. Availability: Evo Tactical will be exclusively sold at Best Buy retail stores nationwide and online at bestbuy.com. Also, available at tech21.com.
- Evo Wallet - More protection. More convenience. Revolutionizing the wallet category with a unique detachable screen cover and a 50 percent increase in drop protection thanks to FlexShock™ and an all-new 3-layer impact absorption system. Evo Wallet can now withstand drops of 9.9 feet while also being significantly thinner than previous versions. Availability: Best Buy, Verizon, and T-Mobile. Also available at tech21.com.
- Evo Elite - Protection. Re-imagined. An all-new design and application technique means Evo Elite's sophisticated, iPhone® color matched finish is now significantly more durable with improved scratch resistance. Available in Rose Gold, Gold and Silver and with a 6.6 foot drop protection you can trust, Evo Elite can keep your phone as beautiful as the day you took it out of the box. Availability: Target, Best Buy, Verizon, T-Mobile, and Sprint. Also available at tech21.com.
- Impact Clear - Protect. Reveal. Pound-for-pound, Impact Clear is our most protective case. The ultra-thin, lightweight design uses BulletShield™ impact protection material, used in bulletproof glass, while the inbuilt anti-yellowing technology keeps the case looking good for longer. Availability: Best Buy, Verizon, T-Mobile, and Sprint. Also available at tech21.com.
- Evo Tactical Extreme Edition - Durable protection. Enhanced. Designed to keep your phone safe and fully functional in the toughest environments, the Extreme Edition features our most robust impact technology, offering a 13-foot drop protection in a slim and lightweight package. Covers on all ports keep your device clean and free from dust and debris while giving you comfortable and precise access to all ports and function buttons. Availability: Target, Best Buy, Verizon, and T-Mobile. Also available at tech21.com.
Market leading screen protection
- Evo Glass - Unrivalled protection. Premium feel. Smooth and crystal clear, there's nothing quite like the feel of premium glass. Thanks to incredibly tough tempered glass, precision polishing and etching techniques, Evo Glass offers unrivalled protection that is 3.5 times stronger than the market leader. Availability: T-Mobile. Also available at tech21.com.
- Impact Shield Self Heal - Advanced protection. Enduring clarity. Designed with a reflowing polymer surface layer that smooths over day-to-day scratches and features BulletShield™ to absorb impact force, Impact Shield Self Heal leaves your screen smooth, crystal clear and highly protected. Availability: T-Mobile. Also available at tech21.com.
- Impact Shield Anti-Glare - Advanced protection. Perfect clarity. By diffusing and scattering light, Impact Shield Anti-Glare's surface layer gives perfect clarity in direct sunlight. While BulletShield™, used in bulletproof glass, spreads out and absorbs impact force stopping it passing through to your screen. Availability: T-Mobile. Also available at tech21.com.
Since 2005, tech21 has been developing the most advanced, scientifically proven cases and screen shields for mobile, tablet and laptop devices worldwide. tech21 combines science, engineering and British design to create products that address three core consumer benefits: style, protection and performance. As the brand evolves to continue meeting the needs of its consumers, tech21 has developed the most advanced impact protection material on the market -- FlexShock™. The ultra-thin and lightweight material absorbs and dissipates force and can withstand drops up to 13 feet. In addition tech21 puts all its products through a rigorous testing program, and in an industry first has partnered with the National Physical Laboratory (NPL) to develop its testing methodology. This ensures that the tests tech21 products have to pass are overseen by independent experts. Tech21 is the number one case brand in the UK. For more information, visit tech21.com.